When can I drink my Cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AuburnBeer

Reaction score
Hi all,

My first batch of cider has completed fermentation and is crystal clear. I racked it into by Corny Keg and had a sample.

It tastes great! Clear, a bit of Chablis smell, but a nice slight apple taste with no real alcohol bit.

I'm sooo tempted to dive in, but hear that patience (which is not a quality of mine) is prefered.

How to resolve this delima?

Thanks

It's entirely up to your preference. I usually wait 6 months before trying my ciders, but I know people that like it both younger or older. You can drink you cider when you like the flavor.

The flavors will definitely mellow and blend together with time, but if you like it now, then drink it now!

*But leave some alone for as long as you can take, that way you get an idea what aging will do to it.

On a similar note, I've just bottled my first cider with priming sugar. If it's kept around 65-70', can anyone give an estimate on how long it should take before it's carbed in bottle?

start another batch and get started pounding the one you have! :drunk:

my last batch was so good young I have to force myself not to drink it

but I have another 5 gallons I started on the 7th, and 5 gallons of a new Safale04 cider I'm trying out I started on the on the 21st. soon I'll have Apfelwien and cider coming out of my ears. :drunk::cross::tank:

Back