When and why to step up fermentation temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdickerson76

Reaction score
I always try and read threads before I post. I don't wanna be that guy, posting the same thing. I've read mixed things about increasing temps during active fermentation.

I brewed black IPA on memorial day. 1.088 OG. Used 1.5 packs of US-05 that was rehydrated. Fermentation fridge set at 65. Pitched at 4 pm. By 6 am Tuesday morning it had slight activity, burping. Took off well throughout the day. I check it every day. Blow off tube had some nice chunks in it. This morning it's still burping every 2-3 seconds. Temps solid at 65. When and why should I increase temps? How much increase at a time? What's the max temp I should reach and what are the benefits of doing this. Thanks all!

I always try and read threads before I post. I don't wanna be that guy, posting the same thing. I've read mixed things about increasing temps during active fermentation.

I brewed black IPA on memorial day. 1.088 OG. Used 1.5 packs of US-05 that was rehydrated. Fermentation fridge set at 65. Pitched at 4 pm. By 6 am Tuesday morning it had slight activity, burping. Took off well throughout the day. I check it every day. Blow off tube had some nice chunks in it. This morning it's still burping every 2-3 seconds. Temps solid at 65. When and why should I increase temps? How much increase at a time? What's the max temp I should reach and what are the benefits of doing this. Thanks all!
Us - 05 is a very neutral yeast so there is very little if any benefit from increasing temps During fermentation-temperature driving the fermentation is usually focused on high ester or phenolic yeast strains where you’re trying to coax the most esters/phenols as possible from the yeast.

Now as you get within 3 points of fg, you can raise temps to the low 70s for a few days to help the yeast clean up any byproducts such as acetaldehyde and VDK.

Last edited:
Us - 05 is a very neutral yeast so there is very little if any benefit from increasing temps During fermentation-temperature driving the fermentation is usually focused on high ester or phenolic yeast strains where you’re trying to coax the most esters/phenols as possible from the yeast.

Now as you get within 3 points of fg, you can raise temps to the low 70s for a few days to help the yeast clean up any byproducts such as acetaldehyde and VDK.

Thanks for that info. When I do decide to bump the temp up, will that help to reach FG or just provide for a better overall beer?

Thanks for that info. When I do decide to bump the temp up, will that help to reach FG or just provide for a better overall beer?
Both. The waming at end will speed up the yeast's metabolism and help insure complete attenuation and improve quality because it will clean up the off-flavor compounds I stated earlier.

Back