When and how to add fruit ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austy91

Reaction score
I just started my second batch of wheat beer and wanted to know what the best way to add fruit to the secondary was. I've seen people use puree and some use frozen. What are yalls opinions?

Depending on the fruit, the beer and application, I'll usually add it during the last 5 or 2 minutes (sometimes 1), or at knock-out. There are some exceptions, which would have me adding it earlier, but those are the general times for me.

Having said that, I just re-read your post and caught the word "secondary," so disregard! :smack:

Depending on the fruit, the beer and application, I'll usually add it during the last 5 or 2 minutes (sometimes 1), or at knock-out. There are some exceptions, which would have me adding it earlier, but those are the general times for me.

Having said that, I just re-read your post and caught the word "secondary," so disregard! :smack:

Actually I never thought about adding it to the boil but I may go that route in the future!

I've never ever done this and only on my 2nd batch ever but thought this was a good read. I have no idea as to how accurate it is so someone with experience please correct or approve the article. Hope this helps, I'm pretty pumped about brewing some fruit in the future! We have a brewery here in Asheville, NC that has infused beer each day with something different. Here is their site http://www.bhramaribrewhouse.com.

https://byo.com/hops/item/1589-what-is-the-best-way-to-add-a-citrus-fruit-flavor-to-your-beer

The only fruit beer that I brew is an apricot blonde.

If I have the apricots when I am ready to add them I will make a puree and then pasteurize, cool and pitch it in.

If I get them in advance I do the same process above and then freezer it.

Back