Wheel of Time Series....?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lagz0r

Reaction score
But seriously, is anyone else sick of waiting for the last book to come out? I just wanna read it now damnit!! what are peoples opinions on how Brandon Sanderson is going with finishing off the series?

That thing is not done yet???

I thought the last book was coming out YEARS ago!?

I did see a book with the new author in the library the other day. I want to think it was in the new book section, but honestly, I gave up on that series back at like book 8. I could NOT keep track of all of the characters and plots lines. It got VERY crazy.

The first books were pretty good though. I think if Jordan had kept it more tidy, it would have done even better.

I'd rather he not rush it and do a good job. The Towers of Midnight was very good imo, I really enjoyed it. The Gathering storm was a bit to much of a split between Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson I think, I recall noticing the difference in writing styles to much.

One thing I will say about the series in general is it is really complicated, there a lot of plot lines which are incredibly detailed. This is something I like! Especially when something foreshadowed in book 1-3 occurs in boots 10-13. I really enjoy the humor in the series too.

That thing is not done yet???

I thought the last book was coming out YEARS ago!?

I did see a book with the new author in the library the other day. I want to think it was in the new book section, but honestly, I gave up on that series back at like book 8. I could NOT keep track of all of the characters and plots lines. It got VERY crazy.

The first books were pretty good though. I think if Jordan had kept it more tidy, it would have done even better.

Nah it's still going, last book should be out next year. I'm a huge fan of the books, and yeah, I can see how you gave up on them, they got quite dry throughout the middle of the series, its unfortunate though cause it really started picking up soon after book 8!

I'd rather he not rush it and do a good job. The Towers of Midnight was very good imo, I really enjoyed it. The Gathering storm was a bit to much of a split between Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson I think, I recall noticing the difference in writing styles to much.

One thing I will say about the series in general is it is really complicated, there a lot of plot lines which are incredibly detailed. This is something I like! Especially when something foreshadowed in book 1-3 occurs in boots 10-13. I really enjoy the humor in the series too.

Oh I totally agree, I want him to do a really awesome job. I'm just kinda bummed out because for some reason I thought it was coming out this year. And I'm really excited to see how everything fits together in this last book.

I almost feel sorry for the guy though, he has so many loose ends to tie up. I was really nervous when he took over cause I thought he was going to miss some thing. I didn't notice the writing style change between the two a heap (it was about a year gap between when I finished reading Knife of Dreams to Gathering Storm) But swmbo certainly did.

I like all the details in Jordan's writing too, although sometimes it can be a little much, but the foreshadowing is insane/incredible and i love that moment when you're reading and everything ties in together and your like aww yeahh. but it's nice seeing other fans out there, none of my friends have read/will read it.

I stopped at book 8 or 9 as well due to the next book not being out...and it didn't come out for like a year after I had finished the previous. By the point I bought the 10th (or 9th), I couldn't follow it since it had been so long and there was so much going on. It just wasn't enjoyable.

I had found a site a couple months ago that had a chapter by chapter synopsis of each book and tried getting caught up so that I could continue where I left, but it's tough since there is so much.

Every time I am at the book store I see the newer ones and want to get them...but I never do. It's too bad too, I am sure it is awesome. If all the books were out when i started then I would have blown through them no problem.

I remember reading when the series was about book 4. Then there was a LONG wait for each next book. It got so complex I just couldn't keep it all straight and I certainly didn't have time to re-read all of them!

I think it was supposed to be 8 books, then 10 books, then 12 books....

Wait, isn't Robert Jordan a pen name for Brett Favre?? ;)

Yeah I would have found it really difficult reading the series if most of the books weren't already released when I started. even with the majority of the books being released, it was still kinda difficult keeping some of the facts straight in my head (and remembering ALL the names).

Apparently Universal Studios have optioned the rights to it (that could be either good or bad - depends on which way you look at it)
You forced me to use google Homercidal, because I have no idea who Brett Favre is (and because I don't follow American Footbal I still don't know who Brett Favre is!)

Yeah, I was really enjoy the series at first and then, like others, it just got too convoluted. I was seeing one reviewer who said that they would read all the books over again before starting each new one to get themselves up to spead. Yeah, sorry, I don't really have time for that. I have something else to do, it's this little thing called a life, perhaps you've heard of it?!?!?

hahaha yeah, I thought about doing that (when I had a long break between the books) but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. The series is a bit faster paced now, and I'm really enjoying how everything is all coming together.

Homercidal said:
I think it was supposed to be 8 books, then 10 books, then 12 books....

It was actually originally supposed to be 6. And then at one point it was 12. Other than that, I don't know.

Shooter said:
Yeah, I was really enjoy the series at first and then, like others, it just got too convoluted. I was seeing one reviewer who said that they would read all the books over again before starting each new one to get themselves up to spead. Yeah, sorry, I don't really have time for that. I have something else to do, it's this little thing called a life, perhaps you've heard of it?!?!?

I kind of gave up while waiting for book 10 for similar reasons. Hearing that a prequel was coming afterwards really sealed the deal, as I felt he was only delaying things needlessly by spending time on something other than the next book.

I may very well finish the series, or even go through the whole thing again, once it's completed. Though it sounds like there are notes for a couple more prequels as well as other books outside the main sequence of novels.

A Song of Ice and Fire is also a great fantasy series, and HBO's TV series, along with Breaking Bad, are by far my two favorite shows on television at the moment.

Oh yes. I really wanna read A song of fire and ice, I loved the first season. Sons of anarchy is one of my favorites at the moment.

Yeah, WOT is got way to complicated and drawn out. Slowly working my way thru the last books.
Wish G. RR Martin would finish his series...

A Song of Ice and Fire is great. I haven't read WoT yet. I just hope ASOIAF doesn't go astray like WOT did from what I've heard. He's taking forever to finish it now.

I still don't know who Brett Favre is!)

He's a former quarterback for the Green Bay Packers who became well known for his decisions to return to playing after retiring. Just a joke on the book's continuing extensions.

I might go back and read this, but seriously, it takes me weeks to get through s short book. I read on my phone, usually either on the john, or in bed just before I go to sleep.

I have too much brewing and home stuff to get done to sit and read for hours every night.

Here is the site that has all the short writeups on each chapter if anyone needs to get caught up to continue reading lol

http://encyclopaedia-wot.org/

Maybe I'll give it another try...if you're already read the books, the site will jog your memory enough to get you up to speed.

Here is the site that has all the short writeups on each chapter if anyone needs to get caught up to continue reading lol

http://encyclopaedia-wot.org/

Maybe I'll give it another try...if you're already read the books, the site will jog your memory enough to get you up to speed.

There is a WOT wiki (different from Wikipedia) that I refer to often to remember who the hell the author is referring to.

Ok, stop it you guys. I have other things to do!

BTW - Did anyone catch that one part in that one book where that one girl had that stick thing they carry and it was apparent that she was going to use it for...

Maybe it was just in my dirty mind.

BTW - Did anyone catch that one part in that one book where that one girl had that stick thing they carry and it was apparent that she was going to use it for...

I think we all know you're sitting at work doing nothing...much like the rest of us, c'mon...you know you want to catch up on WOT....

As for the stick part, I'm sure that was in book 5...Amongst all the politcal BS in that book they had to add something interesting to keep us reading. Otherwise we all would have stopped there

Post quotation from the book or it didn't happen :p

Man I must have really been skipping through the political bs in that bit because I totally missed it!! Although there was reference to two girls gettin together... just sayin.

Count me among those eagerly awaiting the last WOT novel...

According to Sanderson, shortly after he first took over and the publisher decided to make the last book the last three books (I still don't believe Jordan, had he lived, would have had a snowball's chance in hell of finishing the series with a single book), he guesstimated that he'd be able to finish a book each year, and we'd have the end in time for the holidays this year...

Sometime early this year, that became March of next year.

Now I'm starting to hear that it could be summer, or the publisher might hold onto it for the holiday season next year.

I find this particularly upsetting, since Sanderson published book 1 in what he plans to be a 10 book fantasy epic last year around this time, and just published another book in one of his other worlds. Yet WOT keeps getting delayed?

I dig what the guy's writing, and I think he's doing an admirable job with the material so far... But if he committed to finishing off WOT, then he should finish off WOT before doing more of his own stuff!!!

I dig what the guy's writing, and I think he's doing an admirable job with the material so far... But if he committed to finishing off WOT, then he should finish off WOT before doing more of his own stuff!!!

Jordan was always running of writing other stuff too wasn't he?

I've reread the series a couple of times, but the last was probably...geeze, like 8 years ago.. I'm halfway tempted to reread them now in prep for the final book, but it's so long and there are so many other good books that I haven't read..

Ceetar said:
Jordan was always running of writing other stuff too wasn't he?

Guess that depends on your definition of always... His publisher rerelease a few older works of his (Conan novels and some historical fiction he wrote under another pen name), but I think the only other thing he wrote while working on WOT was that prequel, New Spring.

I think Brandons Sanderson is perfect for finishing the series. The last 3 books that Jordan wrote were dry and very slow. You would read 100 pages and get no where in the series. Sanderson is bringing the action and adventure back. It seems like a great boost to the series.

I have also read Sanderson's other books, the Mistborn Series. That one is a great series as well. And only 3 books which are all complete.

I think Brandons Sanderson is perfect for finishing the series. The last 3 books that Jordan wrote were dry and very slow. You would read 100 pages and get no where in the series. Sanderson is bringing the action and adventure back. It seems like a great boost to the series.

I have also read Sanderson's other books, the Mistborn Series. That one is a great series as well. And only 3 books which are all complete.

You may want to look into that again. ;)

Sanderson just released another Mistborn book, that will someday likely have a sequel (according to his blog). He also has at least two more Mistborn trilogies planned (an urban fantasy and a scifi both in the mistborn world). So there's definitely more to come on that front. But I think the guy's in his early to mid 30's; I think there's plenty of time for him to complete those stories he's set out to tell (including the new massive one he just started this time last year).

I'm about halfway through that first Mistborn trilogy, and definitely digging it. And I agree with you on the pace of things - I think Jordan's last book finally started to pick up the pace a bit, but Sanderson has kept a consistently satisfying pace since he took over. I just wish that we weren't staring at the possibility of the final WOT book coming out a full year later than he initially projected.

It's going to take me a bit to find that reference. Hope I'm not keeping you up at night waiting for it. I did a bit of digging yesterday and just can't seem to find it.

I might have to re-read the whole series again.

I'll be glad if the new writer is going to bring back the excitement. I hated the last couple I read. Seemed like a whole lot of nothing important was going on, and he just introduced more characters for no real reason. Time to start killing them off and getting back on track!

I just read on TOR's website that Darryl K Sweet, the guy who's been doing the WOT covers for 20 frikin' years, just passed away too.

Now who are they going to find to botch half the details on the cover illustration for the final book?

In all seriousness though, this is a pretty sad thing... Love his work or hate it, it's definitely contributed to the flavor of this series, and now there will be one more thing about the last book to separate it from the rest.

Aww man, really? That really sucks. I loved those covers. (although here in Australia we have different ones - I did get to see them). Also here, the last three books covers differ from the rest anyway, so it want make a huge difference here. but yeah, still sad =(

It's not out yet?? How long does it take a dead guy to write a book?? What else has he got to do??

Seriously, though. I'm still on like book 9 (or something...) I've a ways to go.

Back