Wheats really do stink!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

God Emporer BillyBrew

Reaction score
I just did my first wheat. Dude's Boulevard clone. Anyway, it's no joke, it smelled like a rank sulphur fart in my office where I keep my primary. My wife accused me of being the culprit, but for once I could blame it on her. It's her favorite beer!

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
I just did my first wheat. Dude's Boulevard clone. Anyway, it's no joke, it smelled like a rank sulphur fart in my office where I keep my primary. My wife accused me of being the culprit, but for once I could blame it on her. It's her favorite beer!

They do stink a little in primary, but ummmm they taste so good when done. Did you have your primary sealed tightly? It really shouldn't stink up the room where it is kept...

Well, for the first time ever, I opened the lid on my bucket. I wanted my wife to see the process and maybe get excited about it.

my dunkelweizen wasnt bad at all... I used WL300 hefe Yeast...

I tell ya... when they say it produces a banana nose, they dont lie!!! The beer is still young, but it got A LOT of banana taste to it.

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
Well, for the first time ever, I opened the lid on my bucket. I wanted my wife to see the process and maybe get excited about it.

LOL, now there's a quote for the Dirty Home Brew Terms collection.:cross:

my wheat beer smelled a bit sour when i racked to my secondary last night. here's to hoping this is normal for wheat beer and it will mellow out. :mug:

Actually, they should be a little bit sour. Some microbrewers would introduce a lactobacillus infection to sour the batch and then pasturize it and repitch the yeast before things got out of hand. A couple spoonfuls of lactic acid is easier...

If it's a bit sour or tart then don't worry about it.. hopefully it just isn't over the top sour. I say if it tastes good then drink it.

Every wheat I've made has had a nasty sulfur smell in primary. Smells the same as me after a night of drinking too much homebrew:cross:

I think it comes from the yeast strains - some just naturally produce a lot of sulfer on fermentation, but it goes away.

Back