Wheat Wine Aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wavewalker

Reaction score
How long does a wheat wine typically take to mature? I know that wheat beers in general hit their prime pretty fast, but what about when you are getting to 9 or 10% (or higher)?

what is a wheat wine? Never heard of one... is it a kind of barleywine with wheat in the grain bill? is it wheat malt made to wort and mixed with real grapes? Sorry... been doing this a long time, but sometimes I'm still a noob! :)

From what I've read in the last couple days, it's a wheat based barley wine (though I did come across some variations with potatoes invloved - but I'm interested in a wheat barleywine). I like wheat beers in general, but the main reason I'm so interested is because it seems like it might be a way to brew a relatively fast maturing barleywine.

Now that I know that... most bigger beers need a bit longer to mature and mellow the harsh alcohol flavors... Barleywines are best aged for 6 mos to a year. BUT, that being said, you can taste it and see if you like it as is or not at any point. Some people have a more or less sensitive palate and don't mind it a bit 'young'. It is totally up to you.

Back