wheat recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THEDIETZ

Reaction score
i am trying to find a recipe for a wheat beer. If you are from or around PA and have heard of Troegs Brewing they make a Dream Weaver Wheat. I want something similar that has a strong clove and spice flavors and minimal bananna. My home brew store carries White Labs yeast. If anyone can help I would appriciate it! I am going to the store tomorrow! Thanks again!!!

after doing some looking I definently want to use the white Labs WLP 380 strain. any suggestions for the grain and hops?

Excellent beer to clone! I don't have a recipe, but I think I can help you get close.

Troegs's own website provides enough information to get started:

Alcohol by Volume: 4.8%
Hop Bitterness (IBU's) : 15
Color (SRM) : Golden, Cloudy
Availability: 1/2, 1/6 kegs, and 12 oz. bottles
Malts: Pilsner, Vienna
Wheat: Wheat
Hops: Saaz
Yeast: Ale - spice, pepper and clove

Long toasty days, cool breezy nights and a splash of magic provide the inspiration for the Troegs brothers’ dreamiest Single Batch creation—Dreamweaver Wheat. Combining four wheat types with Munich and Pils malts, noble Saaz hops, and a yeast strain that imparts a spicy, peppery, clove taste with a slight hint of bananas, Dreamweaver Wheat is an unfiltered blast of spicy, mouthwatering joy.

First, they contradict themselves by confusing Vienna and Munich malts. Whatever; we can cope. ;)

So, you need Pils, Vienna, and four different kinds of wheat (unspecified) to really clone the beer. You need an OG that, with a yeast that attenuates 77% (like WLP380), will yield an ABV of 4.8%. I recommend simplifying the grist, ignoring their complex wheat grist until you can go there and pester one of the brothers with questions.

Use a mix of Pils, Vienna, Wheat Malt and Flaked Wheat. Target an OG of 1.050. Given a brewhouse efficiency of 75%, that computes to:

3 # Pils
3 # Wheat Malt
2 # Flaked Wheat
1 # Vienna

Saaz are the hops you want. One ounce of Saaz pellets at 4% AA boiled for 60 minutes should yield the same IBU as specified on the website. I haven't had Dreamweaver in ages, so I don't remember if it has hops flavor or aroma. It's not appropriate for the style, but knowing John and Chris, they probably throw some in there. I'm just not going to suggest a late hops addition unless I know for sure it has one.

Does that get you close?

Bob

Back