Wheat question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayaBrew

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a Belgian Blond Ale, and I have a question about the recipe (from "Brewing Classic Styles"). The recipe calls for half a pound of Wheat malt. In BeerTools Pro, there is a "Belgian Wheat Malt", and 5 listings for just "Wheat Malt"-all from different manufacturers. The latter wheat malts all say that "a protein rest is required", but Jamil's recipe says nothing about a protein rest. What Wheat malt should I use...the Belgian or Simpsons or Thomas Fawcett et. al.?

You only need a protein rest if you want the beer to clear. The high protein levels in wheat will cause a chill haze without a protein rest. If you're brewing a Hefe or a Wit it is of no concern. In a blond you probably want to avoid a haze. Skipping the protein rest shouldn't have any profound effect on the finished flavor. At 1/2 a pound you may not have much to worry about as far as haze goes but I'm not sure, maybe someone with more experience will chime in. Another note about a protein rest is that it will decrease head retention, so if you do one it would be advisable to up the wheat to counteract this affect.

You are only using 1/2 lb. Don't worry about a protein rest and use Whirlfloc like Cpt_Kirks suggested.

FWIW, I often add modest amounts of wheat malt to my recipes to help with head and have no problems with haze or cloudiness. Don't tell Laughing Gnome Invisible, but I even add a little to my bitter recipe!

Back