Wheat..... Malted vs flaked?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kwitty

Reaction score
I'm making Janet's Brown this weekend. Checking supplies I have flaked wheat instead of malted wheat. Is there much difference? The recipe calls for 1 lb of malted wheat. Can I use 1lb of flaked wheat? After searching I haven't found much info that was helpful.

It depends. If you are brewing with extract, the flaked wheat adds body and starch haze. If you are brewing all grain, provided there are sufficient enzymes, the flaked wheat will convert from the barley enzymes. Post the recipe if you want more help than that.

It depends. If you are brewing with extract, the flaked wheat adds body and starch haze. If you are brewing all grain, provided there are sufficient enzymes, the flaked wheat will convert from the barley enzymes. Post the recipe if you want more help than that.
Sorry. I'm at work and don't have the recipe with me. It is all grain and has 12lbs of 2 row. It's also a darker beer at 21srm. But it sounds like I might be ok.

Back