Wheat Malt or Carapils??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cronxitawney

Reaction score
I am getting ready to brew my next batch, and I am leaning towards an IPA. I used a 1/2 lb of wheat malt in my last batch of ale to improve the head, but I have no idea if it helped as the batch is still carbing. Since I am impatient and want to get the next brew going before the last one is ready to try, can anybody help me out as to which malt results in a better head?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

I'm not sure about wheat malt, but I believe Carapils is more for body/mouthfeel than for head formation/retention. I think flaked wheat or flaked barley are your best bet.

I've always read that carapils will contribute slight to both head retention and body.

Carapils will help head retention, but not as much as wheat. However, if you are just steeping grains, you may want to stick with the Carapils. Wheat malt should be mashed and, to really get the best bang out of it, you ought to see what a protein rest does for you. You don't need to mash Carapils, though.

TL

The reason I was considering Carapils for this purpose was because that site where I have been ordering from has the description for it as: "Very unique dextrine-style malt that adds body, foam retention and beer stability without influencing color or flavor. Use up to 5%" I was wondering if anyone had used it, and would recommend it.

I've used it many times. I do indeed have better head retention on brews that use carapils than brews that do not. I've started including a bit of it in most of my grainbills.

I like to use it too, but when it says "Use up to 5%" I can tell you from experience that you don't need anywhere near 5% to put a good head on your beer, a little goes a long way. The Last few beers I've made I've used about 4 oz in a 10-12# grain bill and have been pleased with how it turned out. I used 5% in a couple of Lagers and it was obviously way too much.

I agree with mutilated. If the beer is a light colored beer, be careful to not use too much. carapils and wheat don't have much of a flavor, but lots of mouthfeel in an american light kit i made back in October was REALLY wierd and I ended up pitching about half the batch. In a darker beer, that feel is more appropriate and adds to the beer.

TexLaw said:
Carapils will help head retention, but not as much as wheat. However, if you are just steeping grains, you may want to stick with the Carapils. Wheat malt should be mashed and, to really get the best bang out of it, you ought to see what a protein rest does for you. You don't need to mash Carapils, though.

TL

When I used the wheat malt, I did a rather mediocre mash in that I steeped it at 154 F for 60 minutes, and did no sparging. I figured most of my fermentables were coming from my LME anyway. I didn't do a protein rest though, so I hope I still see some results:( Thanks for the info.

Thanks for help, I think I will try the Carapils and see how it turns out. The fact that it doesn't need to be mashed helps, as I have no skill at it yet.

Oh, you'll probably see some effect, even if you didn't do a protein mash. I've recently learned the value of one, though, after a little research and some conversations with other brewers. I gave it a shot with my last brew, and I already see some difference. You don't have to worry about that mess until you start AG, though.

In the meantime, enjoy the good beer you made. Give Carapils a whirl for the next one.

TL

I enjoy putting some Carapils in most of my brews. I enjoy the mouth feel that it creates as well.

Back