Wheat malt as base malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bransona

Reaction score
It's another snowy day here in Virginia, and I'd like to brew. Only problem is that I'm all out of typical base malts! The next order won't be here until later this week and I certainly can't make it to the lhbs. I do, however, have enough rahr white wheat malt for a batch of...something.

I've seen some brewers using 100% wheat malt with no issues. I know it has the dp to convert itself. I'm really wondering if it has enough to work with other malts, as I have plenty of specialties and roasted.

I've seen briess white wheat listed at 160L, but can't find specs on rahr. Does anyone know or have experience here?

Also, what kind of beer would you make with so much wheat? I've thought about a crisp, hoppy wheat, a bacon amber wheat, and a wheat stout (that last one may just be a fantasy)

Sure it will convert a high percentage of adjunct. Just looked on the tag of a sack of Rahr Red Wheat. It has a DP of 220!

Diastatic Power%, Degrees Dry Basis....220
Alpha Amylase Units, 200, Dry Basis .....38

You could add raw or flaked barley, rye, oats, corn etc. to make it more interesting. I never had a 100% wheat beer, but at 50-60% the wheat flavor is assertive.

As long as you have rice hulls to go with it, you can lauter it.
With that much wheat, use a beta-glucanase rest at 95-113F and a protein rest at 113-131F. I've done double wheat decoctions (50-60% wheat) and the flavor was wonderful.

Last edited:
Sure it will convert a high percentage of adjunct. Just looked on the tag of a sack of Rahr Red Wheat. It has a DP of 220!

Diastatic Power%, Degrees Dry Basis....220
Alpha Amylase Units, 200, Dry Basis .....38

You could add raw or flaked barley, rye, oats, corn etc. to make it more interesting. I never had a 100% wheat beer, but at 50-60% the wheat flavor is assertive.

Awesome, thanks for the heads up! I was just pontificating on a breakfast beer, but not the usual coffee stout business. What about bacon and toast? I have cherrywood smoked malt, some Vienna to add more breadiness beyond the wheat, and even...Idk, maybe a touch of roasted barley for the toast aspect? Or I could even bake some Vienna or wheat malt for a bit. Any ideas? I know it's a little far fetched

Not far fetched at all, it's a recipe built on desperation, innovation and creativity. How could you go wrong? I'd bake that Vienna and some of the wheat. Any oats around to give it some body and mouthfeel?

Maybe something caramelized too.

As long as your average DP remains above 40 it will convert. Even as low as 30 if need be, with an extended mash.

Not sure what the DP of white wheat is. It must be similar, no? Just don't cut it too close, it will be fine.

You can definitely use wheat as a base. Caramel malt have been converted before kilning. Roasted malts do not give you much in the way of fermentables anyway. A wheat stout would be very interesting. Vienna is a base malt and will self-convert in the mash with or without the wheat. Lighter smoked malts can also be used as base malt. I know of a couple Rauchbiers that are 100%beechwood smoked malt. Not sure about the cherrywood smoked.

Not far fetched at all, it's a recipe built on desperation, innovation and creativity. How could you go wrong? I'd bake that Vienna and some of the wheat. Any oats around to give it some body and mouthfeel?

Maybe something caramelized too.

As long as your average DP remains above 40 it will convert. Even as low as 30 if need be, with an extended mash.

Not sure what the DP of white wheat is. It must be similar, no? Just don't cut it too close, it will be fine.

Helpful and motivational. I love it. Lol :mug: I do, in fact, have oats. I'll definitely throw em in for some body. Mmmm, oats and wheat. I've also got just a touch of caramunich 60. I think I'll use that, seeing as the other caramel I have is c120.

Just as a spitball:

70% white wheat
15% smoked malt
8% vienna
5% oats
2% caramunich

Bitter up to 30 ibu, and probably no flavor/aroma additions

Helpful and motivational. I love it. Lol :mug: I do, in fact, have oats. I'll definitely throw em in for some body. Mmmm, oats and wheat. I've also got just a touch of caramunich 60. I think I'll use that, seeing as the other caramel I have is c120.

Just as a spitball:

70% white wheat
15% smoked malt
8% vienna
5% oats
2% caramunich

Bitter up to 30 ibu, and probably no flavor/aroma additions

Looks great! Toast those oats in the oven too. It's amazing how much more flavor they contain that way. You could add some honey malt if you have it. Maybe a tad C120 or even better, Special B (raisins, plums!) for color and complexity. It shouldn't look too pale.

Agree on simple hopping and I would stay away from citrus hops. Something floral or earthy would be complimentary.

Looks great! Toast those oats in the oven too. It's amazing how much more flavor they contain that way. You could add some honey malt if you have it. Maybe a tad C120 or even better, Special B (raisins, plums!) for color and complexity. It shouldn't look too pale.

Agree on simple hopping and I would stay away from citrus hops. Something floral or earthy would be complimentary.

Solid idea! I'll definitely toast the oats too, and I have special b, so I'll throw in just a pinch for that hint of "oh, what's that? fruit? Malt?" I have nugget and cascade for my usual bittering. I'll probably stick to bittering with cascade. Nugget can be a little overwhelming sometimes. I'm gonna ferment with harvested s-33 (only other option is Windsor. Weather be damned), but I'll keep it cold to keep esters at bay. I'm getting excited for this one already. Thanks for all your input! I'll update once I get to making it and figure out how much malt I actually have.

Here's the recipe, adjusted for how much of each grain I had. It's mashing at 152 now, and I ended up having to get nugget ready for bittering. Just not enough cascade. But I'm gonna FWH with 7g nugget. I love the smell the smoked malt throws off in the mash.

Screenshot_2016-02-15-11-41-38.png

A week later it's stable at 1.019 from 1.067. Out of the fermenter, it tastes JUST LIKE BACON AND TOAST. Holy crap on a cracker, batman! It's getting cold crashed tonight, bottled tomorrow. If it holds this amazing flavor after bottling, I've got a new house recipe on my hands.

Sorry to go off topic a bit but,I have a somewhat random question regarding wheat beers.

Is it normal to have a white Krausen when fermenting a wheat beer? I'm brewing a dunkelweizen and the Krausen is almost entirely white.

Thanks!

Sorry to go off topic a bit but,I have a somewhat random question regarding wheat beers.

Is it normal to have a white Krausen when fermenting a wheat beer? I'm brewing a dunkelweizen and the Krausen is almost entirely white.

Thanks!

Yes, absolutely! Wheat proteins are interesting little fellas. For example, take note of what your hotbreak looks like with wheat. Mine always starts with these big white wart-looking lumps. I've determined it's the wheat in there. Krausen also tends to be creamy and light colored in my white wheat brews. Also depends on the yeast

Here's the recipe, adjusted for how much of each grain I had. It's mashing at 152 now, and I ended up having to get nugget ready for bittering. Just not enough cascade. But I'm gonna FWH with 7g nugget. I love the smell the smoked malt throws off in the mash.

cmon man, charge your damn phone or you better commit that hop schedule to memory

cmon man, charge your damn phone or you better commit that hop schedule to memory

Hahahahaha Best advice on the forum today goes to moops. Fortunately, I had it written down :p It's surprisingly good going into bottles. Can't wait to taste the final product

It may sound counter-intuitive, but you're better off not stacking the snow around that kettle if you're trying to cool it. It blankets the heat in. Instead leave the sides exposed to the air/wind.

It may sound counter-intuitive, but you're better off not stacking the snow around that kettle if you're trying to cool it. It blankets the heat in. Instead leave the sides exposed to the air/wind.

I learned that as I was going and realized I had made an igloo. I ended up moving it

I learned that as I was going and realized I had made an igloo. I ended up moving it

Snow works really well if you drop it into a tub of water that the kettle is sitting in. The water gives you a good contact with the kettle while the snow has to go through a phase change and that requires a lot of energy, energy that is extracted from the wort, cooling it quickly. I usually brew in winter to take advantage of that and up here in northern Minnesota I usually have plenty of snow from December through the middle of March.:ban:

Snow works really well if you drop it into a tub of water that the kettle is sitting in. The water gives you a good contact with the kettle while the snow has to go through a phase change and that requires a lot of energy, energy that is extracted from the wort, cooling it quickly. I usually brew in winter to take advantage of that and up here in northern Minnesota I usually have plenty of snow from December through the middle of March.:ban:

That's precisely what I ended up having to do. I dragged my second swamp cooler out there and iced it with porch snow.

DIY beer is best beer ;)

Back