Wheat IPA Recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyoohio

Reaction score
I had a Wheat IPA a few weeks ago and it has been on my mind ever since.

I am thinking somewhere close to a 50-50 grain bill with either Briess Brewers Malt or Briess Pale Ale Malt (really not sure of the difference other than Brewers malt is a little cheaper) and either Briess Wheat malt or Durst Wheat malt (again not sure the difference that one would make over the other besides price)

After that I am trying to work up the hops additions using Magnum, Nugget, and Cascade. Want to stick with a variation of these three because that is what I have growing in the garden and want to have something worked up that I can use my fresh hops later in the year.

This is a very vague start, but I have never came up with a recipe before and want to get the opinions of those with experience. So if I can get some guidance on which grains would be better and a rough guess of the hops additions I would be very grateful.

Sounds like a good plan to me. I'm not personally a huge fan of magnum for anything but bittering, but give it a whirl. Cascade and Nugget work really well together. I would personally do something like this

50/50 2-row and wheat, targetting a 1.065 ish gravity
maybe add 4 oz crystal something for color...maybe not (up to you)

70 ish IBUs

0.25 oz each at 15
0.50 oz each at 5
1.0 oz each at KO
1.0 oz each DH

Thanks for helping out.

For the grains, should I just choose the cheaper of the two options for each type of grain?
So:
Briess Brewers Malt 50%
Durst Wheat malt 50%

As for the hops, I was thinking about using them all at separate times.

Maybe
Magnum at 60 min
Nugget at 20 min
Cascade at 15
Cascade at 10
Cascade at 5
Dry hop with cascade and nugget.

Just have to figure out amounts

that looks good to me...hop schedule is fine too. Only comment is that Cascade is a far superior flavor hop to Nugget.

I am no expert on recipe formulation, but from reading around on here I think I might have a few suggestions.

I'm not sure how much the nugget hops are going to come through. 20 minutes is a bit longer than most flavor additions, and since you have nearly twice that amount of cascade hops as late additions, I think the cascade might overwhelm the nugget flavor. Not necessarily a bad thing, and cascade hops seem to be the most popular hop for PA/IPAs, but I think you might be able to leave out the nuggets if you wanted too and not notice much difference.

Almost all the wheat recipes I have seen are just 2-row and wheat, but almost all of the IPA recipes have some sort of crystal malt in them, usually crystal 60L. I'm not sure which is appropriate for a wheat IPA, and its probably just preference.

I have been wanting to try something like this, but with more of a wheat yeast. Probably some sort of American Wheat yeast, or potentially that dry wheat yeast (can't remember what it was). Not a huge banana bomb or anything, but something a bit more wheat beer like as opposed to IPA. Thats just what I wanted though, you might be shooting for something a lot different

Back