Wheat IPA Hops Recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slanty_Shanty

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm thinking about brewing up a wheat IPA for the summer, and I'm wondering what kind of hops I should use.

I was thinking about centennial or Columbus at 60 minutes, then one or the other of those around 20 or 30 minutes, followed by a charge of Citra at flameout.

I'm not used to brewing wheat beers, so I'm not entirely sure about that. Anyone have any opinions on what I should use? I'm aiming for 7-7.5% ABV, and 65-80ish IBUs.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

depends on how you like your IPA's to be honest.

Assuming a 5 gallon batch - I'd do the following:

1 ounce of Columbus or Bravo at 60 minutes

1 ounce of Centennial at 10 minutes

1 ounce each of Centennial, Cascade, Citra at 5 minutes

1 ounce each of Centennial, Cascade, Citra at flame out once you chill to 165-170 degrees and whirlpool that.

1 ounce each of Centennial, Cascade, Citra Dry Hopped for 5 days.

1 ounce of Citra 3 days later and dry hop for 2 days.

Cold crash for at least 24 hours then bottle and/or keg.

The yeast is the one thing Id have to research on what I'd want to use.

I like using 20% wheat or so in my IPAs. It seems ot give them a juicy flavor that works well with very fruity hops like citra

Just did a rye/wheat IPA.

Warrior @ FWH, .50 OZ

WARRIOR/SIMCOE @ 30 min, .50 each

1 oz SIMCOE, .25 oz NELSON & GALAXY @ 15 min & flameout.

Whirlpooled @ 175 for 30 min.

3 OZ columbus dry hop

Use any hop combination you like in a regular IPA.

The wheat just gives it a little added twist.

Thanks for all the responses! This place is great.

Yeah, I was thinking of keeping it citrusy, as I figured it would play well with the wheat. I think I'll try to Amarillos, since so many people have suggested them. Maybe Simcoes, too, along with my go-to IPA hop, Citras. Great thoughts from everyone.

I've never had Three Floyds' Gumball Head, or any Three Floyds, as they don't distribute in NY (that I know of...at least near me, sadly). But I've heard great things!

Planning in doing something similar and I have all the hops mentioned on my freezer (Citra, centennial, Columbus, Amarillo) as well as mosaic.

Going for a Belgian twist so thinking 530 based on recommendations from my HBC members.

Plan in doing the 15 Minute Pale ale recipe but with 50% wheat extract as I don't have much time for all grain these days.

Plan in doing the 15 Minute Pale ale recipe but with 50% wheat extract as I don't have much time for all grain these days.

You do know that Wheat extract is already roughly 50% wheat, and 50% base malt.

What about yeast? I imagine you'd stay away from 3056 or 3068? Wouldn't the banana/clove flavors clash with the hops?

Cali Ale Yeast maybe? Perhaps something like Vermont Ale Yeast is too tropical?

Check out the Modern Times Fortunate Islands for some insiration. It uses citra and Amarillo and it is a great, bright wheat based beer. Sounds like that is what you are going for.

Back