Wheat IPA help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bransona

Reaction score
Hey, guys. I'm looking to brew up my first wheat ipa and need a starting point for the recipe. I have 2-row pale and pilsner in stock, along with white wheat malt. I'm also looking to make this a single- hop affair with nugget because I have too much of that particular hop. That in mind, which base malt would you recommend I use with white wheat and in what proportion? The intent is to make a nice creamy texture. Flavor of the wheat is secondary. I have us-05, s-33, and Windsor to play around with if anyone would suggest making a more English style with these hops.

My initial thought is a 50/50 2-row/wheat. That may be too malty/doughy though. So maybe 75/25?

I also have a myriad of caramel and specialty malts, just for gits and shiggles.

Id go 2 row. I like 30% wheat or so in my regular IPAs. If I were gonna do a "wheat IPA". id go 50/50 like gumballhead. use us-05 definitely. Windsor is absolutely not suited for anythign close to an IPA due to its low attenuation. S-33 is just...ugh

I would limit the caramel malts. use some vienna or something if you want it maltier

I usually do 50/50 2-row and wheat in my hoppy American wheats. I'd go with the 05 if I were you but I guess it depends on if you want some yeast character or not. Here is a link to the Lil Sumpin Sumpin clone if you want a starting place. Pretty close to 50/50 2 row and wheat (with a little of it torrified but you can do all wheat malt if you wish), plus a touch of crystal.

Edit: or, basically what m00ps said ;)

Hey, guys. I'm looking to brew up my first wheat ipa and need a starting point for the recipe. I have 2-row pale and pilsner in stock, along with white wheat malt. I'm also looking to make this a single- hop affair with nugget because I have too much of that particular hop. That in mind, which base malt would you recommend I use with white wheat and in what proportion? The intent is to make a nice creamy texture. Flavor of the wheat is secondary. I have us-05, s-33, and Windsor to play around with if anyone would suggest making a more English style with these hops.

My initial thought is a 50/50 2-row/wheat. That may be too malty/doughy though. So maybe 75/25?

I also have a myriad of caramel and specialty malts, just for gits and shiggles.

I add about 20% wheat to a lot of my IPAs because I like the softness it gives and i think is a great backbone to allow hops to shine. That said, I would not personally use nugget because I like fruitier hop varieties on this malt base. If you do, I'd suggest adding maybe a little crystal malt just to boost the malt sweetness a bit. US-05 is fine in an IPA like this.

I would either go 75% 2 row, 25% wheat, or 70% 2 row, 30% wheat. Pilsner is not a bad choice either. You could even go 35% Pils, 35% 2 row, 30% wheat. For yeast, I would go with the us-05. I've never used Windsor before so can't help with that. If I'm looking for an English style beer, I always go for liquid yeast.. WY1318 or WY1968 are my 2 favorites. I had a bad experience w/ S-04 (the only English style dry yeast I've used) so maybe I'm just scarred when it comes to that.

I've had some good beers that were 100% Nugget hops.. commercial (Golden Nugget) and homebrewed. Just be careful with the bittering addition. I made an english pale that I bittered w/ Nugget and it came off way too sharp for my tastes.

Back