Wheat IPA Category for Competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvault98

Reaction score
I am entering a handful of beers into a BJCP competition and trying to figure out if my Wheat IPA is going to get lose points or not be to style in 14B American IPA. The beer is 30% malted wheat, 60% American 2 row and 10% Caramel 10L. Typically I brew this recipe without the wheat, however I was splitting the batch and fermenting half with Brett Brux so I wanted the wheat. My main concern is if it is a waste to enter this beer in 14B because it would not be considered to style. It honestly doesn't taste any different than my standard IPA recipe and I don't think anyone would even really know how much wheat is in it if it wasn't listed at such a high ratio on the entry form. What do you think?

If you're ok with sacrificing two extra bottles, and there are no rules against it, I would submit the beer to both 14B and 23. For the specialty category, make sure to put a comment that it is a wheat IPA, which will give the judges an idea of what you were going for.

Back