Wheat Gut

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCrane

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone else shares my pain. When I drink any beer with any amount of wheat (even small, like 5%) I get terrible abdominal pain and sulfurous gas:confused: . However, eating wheat (ie bread) doesn't have this effect. I have verified this observation over and over and can even determine (albeit several hours later) when a fellow brewer has included small portions of wheat in the grain bill. This is vexing as it really limits my options and I love many style that obligately include wheat. Any thoughts?

Hmmm. There is something called Siliac disease which is basically a wheat allergy. But, you would get the same issues when you eat bread.

I'd go see the doc.

definitely a doctor, and possibly also an allergist.

the fact that it happens with wheat beer and not wheat in bread is strange, most wheat in beer is malted wheat right? and most wheat in bread isn't.

that might be something worth mentioning to the doc, but is definitely NOT any sort of medical advice. leave the diagnosis to the experts.

Ya, I'll go see the doctor as soon as this health care reform thing is rectified;) .

It's really not a big problem, just cuts into my hobby. Also, since I started teaching biology labs to pre-med students and working along side of MD's a few years back, I haven't had a whole lot of faith in modern medicine. Piss and Moan!!

TheCrane said:
Ya, I'll go see the doctor as soon as this health care reform thing is rectified;) .

It's really not a big problem, just cuts into my hobby. Also, since I started teaching biology labs to pre-med students and working along side of MD's a few years back, I haven't had a whole lot of faith in modern medicine. Piss and Moan!!

Just curious what you mean by that?

And it's Celiac disease, not Siliac

Learn to dislike Wheat beers. It's not that hard.:)

Since many wheat beers have other ingredients, they might be the cause.

Back