Wheat extract funk?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

threemileisland

Reaction score
Has anyone tried wheat beers and gotten a bad result? I’ve done 3 this year, and these have been my worst 1-2-3 out of 20 batches or so. They all have a slight funky aftertaste... not sure how to describe it... a cloying tart caramel aftertaste maybe? My gf will drink them, but all I can think about is how far off they are from commercial examples.

The experimentalist in me tried changing variables to fix it. I’ve progressively lowered the fermentation temp (uncontrolled then 72 then 64), changed yeasts (2 German hefe strains and US05), tried common and less common hops, and gotten extract from both my LHBS and online. Same flaw each time. Otherwise my process and sanitization has been the same as my other brews, which otherwise works well.

Could it be that wheat extracts are just... subpar? (At least compared to barley malts.) My nose detected a slight tart smell in the extract, but I can’t be certain if this was the same as the final flaw or just the nature of it.

Is it reasonable to blame the extract? Anyone else had a similar result? My next experiment will be to try a wheat all-grain.

Not an expert here. But...

I've heard people say that extracts are the same but I do think there can be some odd flavors, like less freshness and lightness to it. I've done a few wheat beers from extract and just a couple from all grain (40 or 60% of ther grain bill as white wheat), using hefe yeast and US05. I felt that the best result was all grain with 05. The hefe yeast adds so much spice and tang that it can get too complex for my simple mind.

I would be one to suggest an all grain recipe just to see if you like it better. My "belief" is that it is a tad different, but you'll never really know until you try.

I hope you get some more replies!

Look up some good and proven wheat beer recipes (we have a database) and brew one of those?

Mind, there are distinctly different Wheat beer styles, such as American Wheat Beer, Belgian Wheat Beer (Wit), German Wheat Beer (e.g., Hefeweizen), possibly others and crossovers, such as White IPAs. They're all remarkably different from one another.

I'd stay away from using LME (Liquid Malt Extract) and switch to using DME. Most Wheat DME contains 50-65% Wheat, the rest is Barley, which is about the right mixture/proportions for a true Wheat Beer (at least 50% wheat).
If you're set up for doing all grain (you need a way to mash and lauter and do full volume boils) everything else is pretty much the same as extract brewing. If your kettle and heating source are size limited, brew smaller batches.

If going all grain you need to make sure your wheat malt is crushed properly. Wheat kernels are much smaller than barley's and tend to drop through the gap of most typical LHBS' mills or at best get crushed poorly. Hence mash efficiency and wheat character will lack largely.

If you have a friend or know someone in a homebrew club with a malt mill, set it to 0.025" (use a feeler gauge) to crush the wheat separately from the barley and you're golden on that front. Or do a BIAB mash and crush everything on 0.025". Generic Corona type (corn) mills can be had for $25-50, and when adjusted properly can crush your malts very well too. 2-roller grain mills run $100 and up.

You also need to know and understand your water profile or use RO or distilled water instead.

... a cloying tart caramel aftertaste maybe?
You didnt mention what type of extract you used or method.

I’ve only done two hefe’s with wheat DME, Hallertau Mittlefruh and WPL300 or 3068. Did not get anything like your describing.
If I had to guess it sounds like you scorched the extract. Particularly if you used LME then this is likely the case

You didnt mention what type of extract you used or method.

I’ve only done two hefe’s with wheat DME, Hallertau Mittlefruh and WPL300 or 3068. Did not get anything like your describing.
If I had to guess it sounds like you scorched the extract. Particularly if you used LME then this is likely the case

Yes, it was wheat LME. I thought I had a pretty gentle pour-in... but who knows. It would be an interesting experiment to try both DME and all grain and see which (if either) fix the problem.

Yes, it was wheat LME. I thought I had a pretty gentle pour-in... but who knows. It would be an interesting experiment to try both DME and all grain and see which (if either) fix the problem.
This is just my $0.02. I’ve had caramelization of LME on a couple of occasions. It made me alter my routine a bit when using it. Its also one of the driving factors for me going primarily to DME; particularly for lighter beers. I made the following adjustments.

1. Never add LME with flame on no matter how low. I always seemed to get scorch marks on the ketle bottom no matter how slow I added or fast I stirred. That stuff sinks right to the bottom.

2. If doing a half volume. I add 1/4 lme when water is 150-170f and flame is off, then stir the hell out of it. Rest of LME goes in after flameout. I adjust my hops in beersmith beforehand to compensate.
2a. Full boil I only use half LME. Rest after flame out. Stir like a mofo or get the drill and paint mixer.

3. I don’t worry as much about OG readings being a little off with LME. I suspect theres still some stratification that occurs. I calculate out using weight and expected OG. Take notes of both.

4. Don’t use LME for lighter beers if it can be avoided.

Give DME a try. Maybe do a 2.5 gal batch as a test. I’d be curious to see if you have the same issue.

Latest posts

Back