Wheat beers in kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

kingoslo

Reaction score
Hello my friends,

I have noticed that weiss and wheat beers are supposed to be cloudy. Labels oftens recommend that you swirl the last dregs of the bottle, and poor it to your glass.

I just bought 3 cornelius kegs, and wanted to ask whether they would be appropriate for this weiss/wit beer.

Thanks,

Kind regards,
Marius

Reaction score
All beer is good in kegs. The sediment may settle over time, but you can always give the keg a gentle swirl if it becomes to clear.

JesseRC

Reaction score
My wheat beer was clear when I got to the last 1/4 of the keg. Dont get me wrong it tasted great, but I think it definately tasted like a different beer without all the yeast floating in it. I've also heard you can add a teaspoon of flour to the boil and the haziness will remain without settling.

Baja_Brewer

Reaction score
+1

I've heard kicking the keg before you pull a glass will help stir up the sediment for wheat beers.

DubbelDach

Reaction score
I know a few years ago when I picked up a sixtel of Dreamweaver at Troegs, they had them stored upside down. Told me to keep it like that until I tapped it. I guess the yeast would then mix down through it and not be accumulated around the dip tube.

Reaction score
I know a few years ago when I picked up a sixtel of Dreamweaver at Troegs, they had them stored upside down. Told me to keep it like that until I tapped it. I guess the yeast would then mix down through it and not be accumulated around the dip tube.
I read this the other day I believe around here as well.

TurboBrew

Reaction score
Also interested in this, I make mostly wheat beers, and just ordered some kegs. I guess I'll just store them upside down until it's time to drink.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
The cold in the kegerator will lead to the yeast settling.

About once a week, I take the lines off the keg, turn it upside down, and give it a little tap and shake. That tends to keep the yeast stirred up.

Toward the end of the keg, you will run short of yeast, though.

ClaudiusB

Reaction score
I have noticed that weiss and wheat beers are supposed to be cloudy.
Not if you make a Kristallweizen, filtered version.
I filter most of my wheat beers.

Labels oftens recommend that you swirl the last dregs of the bottle, and poor it to your glass.
I just bought 3 cornelius kegs, and wanted to ask whether they would be appropriate for this weiss/wit beer.
Yes
You can inject a short blast of CO2 through the beer out fitting to stir up the yeast.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

OP
K

kingoslo

Reaction score
I thought about another thing. How about storing the kegs laying down in stead of standing? Anyone thought about this? I just ordered some kegs and thinking about potential ways of doing this. I heard the kegs are emptied from the bottom, maybe that would allow the yeast to settle evenly through the brew?

Thanks,

Marius