Wheat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RNBEERGUY

Reaction score
hey guys so i did a extract and steep grain recipe for a wheat beer however wort color was too dark I was wondering what I did wrong i used pale malt extract loviblond 4 color and wheat dme grains for steeping were 2 row and wheat anyone have any idea why color is too dark ? Will it even out after fermentation? Also I added half the extract at the beginning of boil other half in the last 15 min

Extract beer worts will usually turn out darker than expected after boiling them. My first American-style lager kit ended up looking more like an amber, so this is normal.
Unfermented wort almost always looks darker in the primary and will lighten up and clarify to some degree as the suspended sugars and proteins are consumed or settle out.

Extract beer worts will usually turn out darker than expected after boiling them. My first American-style lager kit ended up looking more like an amber, so this is normal.
Unfermented wort almost always looks darker in the primary and will lighten up and clarify to some degree as the suspended sugars and proteins are consumed or settle out.
By the way this was the color of the beer you said it will settle out

Attachments

• CB40AD77-3494-43B9-A2C4-91E072862EE5.jpeg
    CB40AD77-3494-43B9-A2C4-91E072862EE5.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 119
I actually think the opposite, that beers look darker as things settle out compared to the color during fermentation. They also look quite a bit lighter in the glass though. There may only be so much you can control with extract, but you could try doing an even smaller amount for boil and add the rest after flameout.

Last edited:
In the future, I wouldn't use 2-row or wheat for steeping. Those grains need a mash to convert the sugars.

This is correct, these grains should not be steeped as they need the starches to be converted to sugars. However, the difference between steeping and mashing is in the temperature and if you had the temperature between 149 and 160 you actually did a mash instead of just a steep and the starch will be converted.

Back