Wheat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Estrider03

Reaction score
Alright ladies and gents, since it is now harvest time I have available to me some raw wheat. I would like to make a beer from this but am at a bit of a loss trying to figure out how to do it. I have played with recipes online and can't seem to find one that will accommodate my thoughts. Please let me know if you have tried this or have a recipe anything would help!

After it sprouts those two lil hairs,you have to roast it in an oven. Someone on here had a thread about temps & times. Idk off the top of my head. Seems to me they had to get rid of those lil hair root things sticking out of the kernals as well?...

You could always cereal mash the raw wheat and then do a saccrafication rest with some 6-row malt for the conversion enzymes. You'd need about 1 lb 6-row per 3 lbs raw wheat for proper conversion. Cereal mashing is just the process of breaking down and opening up the starches in the wheat so that the conversion enzymes can get easy access to them. It's done on a stove where the milled wheat and water are brought to a couple temperature rests and finally to a boil for many minutes (30-60min) until you reach a gooey consistency, at which point it's added to a main mash with 6-row for full conversion. It takes more time than a simple single step mash but is not too hard by any means.

Or like unionrdr said you can malt it and dry it, and then use it outright without any base malt.

Back