Wheat Beer Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bribo179

Reaction score
I am going to brew a Dunkel using w3068

Is it ok to use light LME to make my starter or should I buy Wheat LME? Would it make any difference?

I always use extra light dme for all my starters. Are you going to dump the whole starter in when you pitch? Or decant and pitch just the slurry?

Wheat LME is anywhere from 50:50 to high percentages of barley malt based so adding a little bit more malt is not going to affect much. Check out the LME production site and it will tell you the ratio of wheat to barley in the LME you are using. When I make my starters I crash cool and decant, then i make a final step in my starter with similar wort to the beer I'm brewing and use that and pitch at high krasuen. I do this more for hops and color content (and cos I'm crazy) than worrying about wheat/barley ratio of LME.

Clem

No prob with light DME for a starter. That being said, I would recommend decanting prior to pitching regardless of the DME used.

Back