Wheat beer tastes worse after aging.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy_awesome

Reaction score
I brewed a can from the coopers wheat hopped malt kit.

When the beer was first finished it was a really good beer, lots of body, clean taste and one of my favorites.

My apfelwein was also ready the same time, and i had a good tongue for it so the wheat beer took a backseat for about 3-4 weeks.

After the 3-4 weeks I tried the wheat beer again, and it doesnt taste that great at all, nothing like it used to taste like, it's not an infection taste, it just doesn't taste right and has a bad mouth feel. I am tempted to ditch this beer if things don't improve in the next few weeks (ya i know, never ditch your beer. but I need the bottles and space).

Does this happen with wheat beer?

Is the taste sort of cardboardy? If so, it could be oxidation, and that won't get better with time. Need more description of the taste to really make a call on this, though. Could also be that you've ruined your taste buds on Apfelwein. :D

Terje

Edit: Also wheat beers are generally better consumed young, but you're only at about 2 months or so in the bottle... seems young enough to me. Maybe just getting to the peak or a bit beyond? More experienced folk might be better able to help.

I just had drank one of my Hefe's that I bottled in early Feburary and was still great. Sorry I'm not much help.

I brewed a Festa Brew Wheat beer kit and at nearly 2 months since bottling and a VERY generous 6 weeks since fermentation began it's starting to taste it's age, and by that I mean bad. Most of the subtle esters and phenolics from the yeast have gone and it's a lot more bitter then I remember it being after 2 weeks in the bottle.

Drink this stuff young.

Back