Wheat Beer Color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

absolutbmc

Reaction score
I have a question for everyone out there. I am brewing a wheat beer almost at 2 weeks of fermenting and poured some out into a shot glass before to see how it tastes and looks. I was surprised to see the color of it. It was a beige/white color. I was expecting a golden color. Has anyone seen this before? Here is my recipe:

6lb Wheat LME
8 oz British 2row
8 oz Cara Pils
1 lb honey
1 oz Perle Hops
American Hefe Yeast (WLP320)

Hop schedule is as follows: .5 oz @60, .25 oz @15, and .25 @5.

The beer taste fine, the color just seems off.

Thanks in advance

Sounds like it is doing fine; I've made couple wheats and they are generally more on the cloudy white side as opposed to the golden side. If you are still worried about it, rack to secondary and let it clear up a little more.

LME usually turns out darker beers due to the LME process.

using extra light DME, and 'late extract addition' will help get your color closer to 'normal'.

I was planning on racking to secondary. However, I was going to rack to secondary because I am going t add watermelon to the beer. Do you think I should maybe rack to secondary without watermelon, then rack to tertiary to add the watermelon. I would prefer not to do that, as I do not know if I have an extra carboy sitting around.

I did add the LME through out the boil. I add 1lb of LME at the start and the rest of the LME @ 15 mins

I was planning on racking to secondary. However, I was going to rack to secondary because I am going t add watermelon to the beer. Do you think I should maybe rack to secondary without watermelon, then rack to tertiary to add the watermelon. I would prefer not to do that, as I do not know if I have an extra carboy sitting around.

I did add the LME through out the boil. I add 1lb of LME at the start and the rest of the LME @ 15 mins

You can add the watermelon to the primary. After it's fermented rack to secondary to clear.

Back