Wheat beer brewing??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the mash denser? Does this allow for the water to make it's way through easier? What are rice hulls and where can I get them if needed? do they add anything to the profile? Can I still single sparge?

thanks,

Rice hulls don't add anything to mash, just help keep the mash from becoming a solid block leading to stuck sparges. I add a handful of rice hulls to ever mash.

I mill malted wheat the same as malted barley.

Thanks for the info. Where do I get rice hulls? We brew 20 gallons or approx 40 lbs of grain. How much should I use? We mash ales around 152, what mash temp is best for wheat beers?

Thanks again,

hopfen

I get mine at the local homebrew store, but you can order them online at brewing supply places, too, I would assume. I've never seen them anywhere else.

As for your mash temp, it depends upon what type or style of wheat beer you are shooting for - there's great variety within the category of 'wheat beer'. For example, a belgian white, a german dunkelweiss, and 3 Floyds Gumballhead have very little in common, other than that they use malted wheat.

I think of dunkelweiss as light bodied, so would aim for 150, maybe, but am not an expert on the style. Maybe look through the database here for some dunkelweiss recipes and see what they recommend.

I make 20 gallon batches as well. I use 16 3/4 lbs barley and 16 3/4 lbs wheat. I mill the wheat with the barley and mash at about 151 152. I never have used rice hulls and have not had a stuck sparge yet, but keep in mind that I use a manifold in my mash tun not a false bottom. You mak have trouble with a stuck sparge with a false bottom, but don't quote me on that. I hit a 1.049 with that amount of grain without using rice hulls so I think I'm getting good effiency. I may pick up a pound or so of rice hulls next time I hit the brew shop and see if my OG shoots up.

depending on the equipment, mills crush, and percentage of wheat you are using will determine the need for hulls.

wheat malt has no husks and is higher in protein then base malts.

my false bottom herms setup does 70% wheat without needing hulls

the hulls act as floating spacers to allow the fluids to flow freely between the wheat particles.

post your recipe and we can give you a mash schedule.

authentic weizen biers by german law, need to have at least 50% wheat. a double decoction mash is a great way to do a dunkel weizen.

dunkel weizen means dark wheat, so you may decide to use a pils/munich base malt mixed with pale wheat malt, then add some cara-wheat or chocolate wheat, dark munich, melanoidin or what have you.

bjcp will give you some insight
http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/catdex.php

I have a SS braid in my mashtun and I do get stuck sparges when there is a lot of wheat in the mash. Rice hulls are a good idea. Having to scoop and strain 10lbs of grain sucks.

>>I use Irish Moss because I want a bright cloudy beer, not a dull cloudy if that makes sense.

What is traditionally done? I would think that they don't use Irish Moss.

Thanks,

Hopfen

>>I use Irish Moss because I want a bright cloudy beer, not a dull cloudy if that makes sense.

What is traditionally done? I would think that they don't use Irish Moss.

Thanks,

Hopfen

i rarely do anything traditionally

Back