Wheat beer and Vanilla

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruiz54

Reaction score
Ok So I made a wheat beer from LME and grains. I am going to bottle it and I was thinking of adding some vanilla to it. Is this a good idea and how much should I add to give it a hint of Vanilla. Thanks guys :drunk:

what kind of beer. Low enough aroma and taste to not cover the vanilla. etc etc.

I did a baltic porter and used 2 vanilla beans in the secondary. Cut them in half and scrape them. Drop all of the goodness into the secondary. A lighter beer like that will different. 2 whole beans might be too strong. I guess it just depends on what you are looking for.

Use a high quality (real) vanilla extract, to be safe you want to add it a little bit at a time to the bottling bucket and mix it in. Then taste and see if you need more. It is VERY easy to over do vanilla and make 'a hint of vanilla' into 'oh my god I'm going to throw up'. :)

Yeah I do cook regularly so I know that vanilla extract is strong stuff. So I went ahead and put 3.3 ounces of vanilla in to my Wheat ale when I bottled yesterday. It did seem to have the right hin on vanilla I think. Only time will tell I guess. Anyone have any other suggestions on good things to add to beer and basic techniques for doing so?

I had the Austin Homebrew Supply vanilla porter and although very good, I never got much of a vanilla taste out of it. Would it be a better idea to try vanilla in a lighter beer?

Back