Wheat and pilsner boil time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deuc224

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all, Ive been brewing for about a year and a couple months and recently started using pilsner more and more, actually for the first time recently. My question is why does pilsner malt need a 90 minute boil? And if you use 50% pilsner in a recipe does it still require a 90 minute boil? Planning a hefe this weekend and used munich last time but doing pilsner this time. Thanks all for any help.

Hey all, Ive been brewing for about a year and a couple months and recently started using pilsner more and more, actually for the first time recently. My question is why does pilsner malt need a 90 minute boil?

Pils malt doesn't necessarily need a 90 minute boil. But all else being equal, it does need a longer boil than other malts, because it contains a higher amount of DMS's precursor (SMM). SMM is converted to DMS in the boil, at which point it becomes volatile. The boil needs to be long enough to boil away enough of it to keep it below flavor threshold. (DMS's aroma/taste is described as creamed corn, cooked corn, cooked vegetable, oysters, tomato juice, and/or vegetal.)

And if you use 50% pilsner in a recipe does it still require a 90 minute boil? Planning a hefe this weekend and used munich last time but doing pilsner this time. Thanks all for any help.

A wort with 50% pilsner wouldn't need as long a boil as an equivalent wort with 100% pilsner.

I hear it said often that todays malts don't need a 90 minute boil.

One anecdotal data point...I made a series of small batch single grain a bit over a year ago. I did a 60 min mash and a 30 min boil on all of them. I got to the Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian Pils batch and did the same. It came out very crisp and clean. I am mostly through that bag now. I suspect every beer was made with a 60 minute boil and I have never noticed any DMS character.

50+% wheat plus pilsner is like a Hefe. No need to boil a Hefe 90 minutes.

Also, i read that a 60 rolling boil is enough for pilsner. 90 minutes if you do a light boil.

50+% wheat plus pilsner is like a Hefe. No need to boil a Hefe 90 minutes.

Also, i read that a 60 rolling boil is enough for pilsner. 90 minutes if you do a light boil.
Yeah im doing a hefe, my favorite summer beers and just using pils instead of munich this time.

Latest posts

Back