whats your mill gap setting (barley crusher)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what's your barley crushers mill gap setting?

• .039 (factory setting) why mess with whats working

• .036 a little tighter than factory

• < .034 dont fear the flour

• .??? I made an adjustment but I'm not sure

Results are only viewable after voting.
My crusher reads 0 at 3 o'clock, .053 at 12 o'clock and .106 at nine o'clock. So, its kind of annoying. I've been eye balling it thinner as I go. The feelers seem like the ticket. Scary, though as I try to crush slowly powered by a dewalt drill, this time the drill got very hot and overworked. Didn't imagine a drill this powerful would get beat down by a little barley and wheat crushing, hmm?

I had to adjust it as it arrived a bit off (wider at one end).

.038 is what I've used for my first few brews with it. I still hand crank as I've been too cheap to by the low-speed drill ($$ has gone into a Blichmann burner and the mill). I'm getting about 70% efficiency. Prior to that, using my lhbs's mill, I was getting similar. Sometimes closer to 75%. But then they had issues with their mill, and I found the crush very inconsistent, hence my purchase.

Thinking about tightening it to .036 and seeing what happens.

I use a stainless water line braid in my rectangular cooler/tun and batch sparge.

I had to adjust it as it arrived a bit off (wider at one end).

.038 is what I've used for my first few brews with it. I still hand crank as I've been too cheap to by the low-speed drill ($$ has gone into a Blichmann burner and the mill). I'm getting about 70% efficiency. Prior to that, using my lhbs's mill, I was getting similar. Sometimes closer to 75%. But then they had issues with their mill, and I found the crush very inconsistent, hence my purchase.

Thinking about tightening it to .036 and seeing what happens.

I use a stainless water line braid in my rectangular cooler/tun and batch sparge.
You can got a lot tighter with a braid. I crush at .032 and it works great.

I set mine to .039 and it was way too fine, too forever to sparge I'm using a braid as well (batch sparg) I'm using Gambrinus malts and they must be more plump. I am going to try .041 for my next brew. efficiency was 85%

I run a .033" gap on my MM3 with a false bottom. I got 84% efficiency this morning.

I've been using my Barley Crusher mill at the notched factory setting of .039". My efficiency with sparging has been some 72% to 85%. And I do pb/pm biab in the same 5 gallon SS kettle I started with & a paint strainer bag,course weave nylon. By the way,I've used grains from Crisp,Breisse,Weyerman's,& other usual companies in it so far.

I just set mine to .043 and crushed my grains for a brew today. The crush looks great so we will see what the efficiency says.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

I was getting ~72% at the 0.39 factory setting doing batch sparges with a SS braid. I tightened to 0.35 and my efficiency improved to 78% and 81%, but I also had a stuck sparge each time. I've loosened it to 0.37 so hopefully I'll get ~75% and fast runoffs. I'll know in a couple weeks.

I'm working at about 0.034-0.036. Only feeler gauges I could find at the time had .030 and .040, with no in between, and I never bothered getting a different set (although I certainly should). So I set it about half way in between the two.

Whats the finest crush those of you who recirculate are using?

My drill is a high torq single speed (500 rpm). My old home made crusher with that drill could crush extremely fine with little to no husk shredding (and 85-93% eff). I'm finding that I can't crush less than .040 without shredding with the BM.

Yo Denny. Gambrinus grains are fat suckers this year compared to other barley. I'm set around .42 I believe with 85%

Back