What's your longest time on oak (cubes)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkrath84

Reaction score
I've got a barley wine that's been sitting on 3oz of medium toast American Oak that life got in the way of, lol. I've oaked in the past with pleasant results but no longer than 4 months so im kind of anxious!

I remember someone here kept cubes in the carboy until they dissolved (not intentionally) with surprisingly good results but I figure worst case, I have an excuse for a blending project with a huge stout.

With that said, what's the longest time you've had your beer sit on oak? What were your results? I would love to hear from those that have experience in long term treatments o over and beyond a few months.

... I'm scared to taste it!

I did a Russian imperial stout with bourbon-soaked oak chips that sat in the secondary for well over a year and it was awesome. I didn't intend for it to sit that long, but like you, life got in the way.

I found a bottle of the stout in the back of my garage a few weeks ago and it was still great, six years later. It was with a bottle of pale ale that didn't age so well.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm going to pull a sample and force carb it. We'll see how it goes! I'm thinking about throwing in some vanilla bean into the keg if all goes well.

Back