What's your guilty pleasure commercial...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PitsPale

Reaction score
Inspired by this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=30882

Let's talk about what your guilty pleasure commercial beers are - the beers you like to keep a six pack or so on hand that you wouldn't like your fellow "beer snobs" to find out about. We've all got them.

Mine - Miller High Life. I don't know what it is... light, crisp... very good for "swill." Added bonus, it's Doug Heffernan's beer of choice on the greatest sitcom ever written "The King of Queens."

Trust - me, admitting it makes it feel so much better - so what are yours?

Andy

Well, I work in a wine/beer shop that was named one of the top 70 retailers in the US by All About Beer, so you can rest assured that the only time anything that's not homebrew or craft beer enters my house is when someone else brings it. Case in point: I have a few Spiced Heat Spring Wheats in my fridge. I've had worse commercial brews.

Guilty, though, I am, in my past life. Back in college, my roomies and I would get a shopping cart of 40's for WWF Raw/Smackdown from the local ghettomart, and get obliterated on that rancid sh*t. Funny thing is, one time after I graduated, I tried watching WWE sober, and holy christ is it boring.

My favorites were Private Stock and OE Ice. But I rarely forty-fy it since I graduated.

Evan! said:
My favorites were Private Stock and OE Ice. But I rarely forty-fy it since I graduated.

Holy crap - I thought Miller High Life was bad...:drunk:

As far as the PBR question - I don't know.

But I'll answer the question with a question:
Miller High Life - is it champagne or beer?:D

PitsPale said:
Holy crap - I thought Miller High Life was bad...:drunk:

As far as the PBR question - I don't know.

But I'll answer the question with a question:
Miller High Life - is it champagne or beer?:D

When you're looking to get wrecked, and don't want the stigma of BumWine, and don't want to bother going the liquor store, then there's nothing better than 40 oz of malt liquor that, in the case of OE Ice, is nearly 7% ABV and costs no more than $3.50.

The allure of PBR is not only that it's cheap, but it's also as the kids say, "retro chic" or some such nonsense, meaning it's cool in some sort of supposedly-ironic way. Which makes me like it even less. Especially because I was forced to use the term "retro-chic".

As for MHL, it's D: none of the above. Champagne comes from grapes grown in a region of France called "Champagne". Beer comes from barley, wheat, rice and corn. Miller High Life comes from the urine of a special type of bat that lives in caves high in the Andes, hence the name "High" Life.

Evan! said:
As for MHL, it's D: none of the above. Champagne comes from grapes grown in a region of France called "Champagne". Beer comes from barley, wheat, rice and corn. Miller High Life comes from the urine of a special type of bat that lives in caves high in the Andes, hence the name "High" Life.

Strong words from someone who said retro-chic.
:mug:

I guess I'm a beer snob. Since I've started home brewing I even find myself not ordering from a bar unless they have something new an unusual available. It used to be Great Lakes Dortmunder or Guinness was sufficient. Now I think I will get something better when I get home, why waste my money and liver on lesser beer.
For my beer snob status it helps that I never partook much in any BMC type beers in college as I didn't like them. My worst infractions from those days is drinking Schnapps based drinks or the occasional White Zin. Now I can't stand anything that sweet.
Ofcourse I'm a newbie brewer and not exactly a connoisseur of beer or wine. I enjoy many different styles but some of the descriptions and differences between similar brews escapes me.
Craig

Not a snob at all. I'm picking up some 40s tonight to drink with the guys while we plan our camping trip.

Do the kiddies still think that PBR is "cool," or did it go out of style with the trucker hats?

I did hear them underwriting some music programming on NPR, which struck me as... well, odd.

I gave up "Guilt" for Lent.

Just kidding I really gave if up for good. I'm not catholic either.

As a college student I think I can say that PBR is cool to people because of the retro cans and stuff...has nothing to do with what it tastes like.

Lone Star has recently released new labels on their cans and bottles, they're pretty cool really, but it's all just hype for a cheap beer.

Honestly I've never had a PBR, I'm a Texan and I drink Lone Star.....no matter how cheap and crappy it is. It's still a good beer to have at a show or to slam at a bar, plus the riddles under the caps are cool.

So yeah, Lone Star is my "guilty pleasure" of a commercial beer

My guilty pleasure is pretty much any Canadian lager. I'll drink Molson Golden or Canadian, or Labatt's Blue. Haven't had any in a while, but supposedly it's mudda-fuggin' hot outside, so I should grab a sixer tonight.

You know, Beer is good. I have tasted some of the best beers, and enjoy continuing to taste great beer. But I do like to give my taste buds a rest and "slum" it with some Busch or PBR. You have to remeber that everybodys tastes are different and that beer like Miller Lt keeps winning awards. They are able to keep their beer consistant, which is something that all of us brewers would strive for.

mblakely said:
You know, Beer is good. I have tasted some of the best beers, and enjoy continuing to taste great beer. But I do like to give my taste buds a rest and "slum" it with some Busch or PBR. You have to remeber that everybodys tastes are different and that beer like Miller Lt keeps winning awards. They are able to keep their beer consistant, which is something that all of us brewers would strive for.
I think i'll sacrifice consistency for being able to brew something that doesn't taste like watered-down urine ;) i rarely brew the same beer twice anyway...it's all about continuous improvement!

Ok ok, i need to help clear up the PBR thing. PBR became cool during the mid-late 90's because they were finally, after almost 100 years, going out of business. Well, the punks and rockers up in Portland and Seattle didn't want the oldschool brand to go out so they started drinking a crap-ton of PBR and getting sloshed at shows off of the stuff. Amazingly enough, it worked. The music scene pretty much kept the company afloat and so forth.

What you see nowadays with people my age or so getting snockered off of the stuff all the time is because it became kinda an Indie icon of being nonconformist....even though they are conforming to a brand.... Nonetheless, i occasionally drink it because it's cheap and i like supporting them over the bigger BMC's. My grandma has about 30 antique PBR signs and stuff and she said when she's gone they are mine...great.

BACK TO THE THREADS TOPIC: My guilty pleasure, well it has to Alaskan Amber. I keep that stuff in the very back of my personal fridge in my closet, hidden away from everyone and can be caught on most days sneaking a glass or 6.

I'm not ashamed to have The King (Bud), or Coors Original in my fridge-they're good for what they are. I'd say I'd only feel 'guilty' if I resorted back to Beast Light that I used to drink with my old roomate. PBR is fine-but those all taste pretty similar.

I guess I just need to brew more/get more equipment-because I rarely have a ton of my own good stuff laying around. If the batch is good, it gets drunk pretty quick by me and my friends and if it's so-so, I drink it little by little by myself.

Natty. Boh.

Showing the Baltimore pride, yo.

tn_boh.jpg

natty ice. 9.99 for a case and you can get hammered at least twice. cant beat that. and you only have to taste the first few!

brewt00l said:
speaking of, a fantastic site:

http://www.bumwine.com/

Buckfast, the choice of many. Seach for "buckfast" and "ned" on YouTube.
Apparently one of the few things that can be seen from space is the green hue of all of the empty bottles coming from Motherwell.

example :

Last edited by a moderator:
Klainmeister said:
Ok ok, i need to help clear up the PBR thing. PBR became cool during the mid-late 90's because they were finally, after almost 100 years, going out of business. Well, the punks and rockers up in Portland and Seattle didn't want the oldschool brand to go out so they started drinking a crap-ton of PBR and getting sloshed at shows off of the stuff. Amazingly enough, it worked. The music scene pretty much kept the company afloat and so forth.

What you see nowadays with people my age or so getting snockered off of the stuff all the time is because it became kinda an Indie icon of being nonconformist....even though they are conforming to a brand.... Nonetheless, i occasionally drink it because it's cheap and i like supporting them over the bigger BMC's. My grandma has about 30 antique PBR signs and stuff and she said when she's gone they are mine...great.

Yeah, I have read those articles as well and distilled to basics, it still comes down to fitting in/being one of the cool kids & it is a cheap drunk. Supporting them over the bigger BMCs? Is that sorta like worshiping one of the lesser demons of hell cause you don't want to be a satanist? ;) Though, it is not an uncommon thought largely perpetuated by PBCs marketing.

I get drinking cheap swill (and I do it some times myself). I also live in one of the regions that helped turn drinking PBR cans into something more than having a beer... However at the end of the day if you enjoy it for whatever reason, that's all that matters.

Michelob ultra? I don't get that either but that's a whole nother story :p

Some of my old-skool friends like to go ghetto from time to time. So we get foties and sit out on da porch, yo.

What kind? Doesn't matter. They cost like $2

BrewDey said:
I guess I just need to brew more/get more equipment-because I rarely have a ton of my own good stuff laying around. If the batch is good, it gets drunk pretty quick by me and my friends and if it's so-so, I drink it little by little by myself.

HIJACK!

You've got to stop doing that! Save the best for yourself!!!! Be greedy!

For years it was Miller Lite for me,but since the rerelease
of Schlitz in 2008 I`ll take it over ML anyday it at least
has some Gusto to it. :)

I'll have a Lite or a PBR occasionally. But this is Milwaukee, so my "guilty" beer is Budweiser.

jooce- for ghetto rips
i have to admit that there are days in the summer when i swill mike's hard lemonade like there is no tomorrow. Some days i can drink 2 cases of that, so i always keep some on hand, for that special day when i can be drunk before noon.
i also always keep rolling rock pony bottles (rathskellar smashees) or coronitas in the house, because sometimes, when i am feeling ostentatious in the evening, i like to pretend that i am also a giant.

I have no "guilty pleasures", I OWN and admit to all of mine... that being said, beers that would fit into this category are Blatz and Heilman's Old Style, always be a soft place in my heart for those two. Unfortunately, I can't get either of them here. :(

The beer I turn to when I just need to relax after a hard days work is Coors Light. Not the greatest beer in the world but it just hits the spot for me at times. I love firing up the grill and cracking one open at the end of the day

Yeah, I have read those articles as well and distilled to basics, it still comes down to fitting in/being one of the cool kids & it is a cheap drunk. Supporting them over the bigger BMCs? Is that sorta like worshiping one of the lesser demons of hell cause you don't want to be a satanist? ;) Though, it is not an uncommon thought largely perpetuated by PBCs marketing.

I get drinking cheap swill (and I do it some times myself). I also live in one of the regions that helped turn drinking PBR cans into something more than having a beer... However at the end of the day if you enjoy it for whatever reason, that's all that matters.

Michelob ultra? I don't get that either but that's a whole nother story :p

i'm not sure about the whole seattle portland thing- i'm aware of it- i've just always kind of felt like they think they invented cool... But from what i remember in the mid 90's PBR was like 6 bucks a case and bud and miller were like 11. That's why we chose it over the others. also why we drank genny cream when 30's were like 7 bucks- we couldn't even afford yuengling premium!

Back