What's your guess...time it takes to carb a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a full-to-the-brim keg chilled to 37 degrees (F). By full, I mean about 1" below the gas in tude.

I have it connected to the gas line at 11 PSI.

How many days would you guess I'll have to leave it sit before I can draw a pint and get a good 2-3 inch head?

This is a Belgian Wit with 50% flaked wheat so a good head is called for. I just wanna know how long before I can expect it.

I'm TRYING to be patient and stop shaking my kegs to force carb. :cross:

Thoughts? Thanks.

thanks for posting this. i need this info too, and fast! i have a friend's party in 3 weeks and 3 days. i'm brewing a hefe tomorrow and kegging it and i want it to be ready!!!

It will totally depend on temperature and PSI, but honestly at that low of a pressure, it will take at least a week to 10 days for it to be carbed up enough.

You can force the issue by jacking the psi up to about 30, and it will be carbed up in a day or two, but it is easy to do too much that way--unless you check it constantly.

I never shake my kegs to get them carbed. My rule is 3 weeks and you are sure to get great carbonation and it gives the beer a little longer to mature.

Dude said:
It will totally depend on temperature and PSI, but honestly at that low of a pressure, it will take at least a week to 10 days for it to be carbed up enough.

You can force the issue by jacking the psi up to about 30, and it will be carbed up in a day or two, but it is easy to do too much that way--unless you check it constantly.
That's what I was guessing. About a week at 10-13. Does it matter that the headspace is essentially nothing (with a full keg)?

bump up the psi and check it, eh? i suppose i could run home during breaks and lunch to check it...sounds risky. any optimal psi we should be running at?

also, i think i need stone. i know it helps with oxygen, does it work with co2 as well?

rdwj said:
I'm saying 7 days
RDWJ, have you lost weight?

rdwj.jpg

DeathBrewer, I'd say you set it at 10-13 PSI and give it 10 days and it should be fine. Worst case is, two nights before if the beer seems a bit flat, crank it to 30 PSI nd shake the keg for about 60 seconds..

BierMuncher said:
That's what I was guessing. About a week at 10-13. Does it matter that the headspace is essentially nothing (with a full keg)?

The amount of headspace in the keg definitely affects the 'quick carb' method (i.e. over-pressurizing and shaking). I confirmed this fact the hard way. But I don't think lack of headspace will inhibit pressure equalization inside the keg if the gas supply is continuous. I think in that situation it would have more to do with the amount of beer that needs to equilibrate (more = longer). Anyways, please let us know.

I sometimes shake the keg for 30 secs at 30psi then drop the presure down to 10-14psi and leave for a day or two. The 30 sec shake gives it enough carbonation to reduce the days required.

For flavor I find 10 days in the cold keg under presure seems about right. Get the small bubbles that way too.

my crew and i have gotten beers kegged and ready in about 1-3 days many times. we shook the crap out of them, but they all turned into pretty good beers. i thought that was part of the process, actually :eek:

what do i know, tho, i'm a bottler :D

I like the set it and forget it mode and at 11psi I'm thinking around 10 days as well. When I get anxious, I'll shake em up a bit but still prefer to let em sit.

welp, mine's for a party on may 12th. i'm brewing tomorrow. which reminds me, i gotta go shake that starter...

...ok i'm back. it's a hefeweizen. i figure if i get a good fermenation, it'll be done in 10-12 days. if so, that'll probably be perfect, but if it has to go a full three weeks, i'll only have 3 days to get it ready. any thoughts?

Back