What's your GO TO yeast for imperial IPA??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axacrusis

Reaction score
Planning on brewing an IIPA soon within the 9-10% ABV range and contemplating which yeast I should choose. What's everybody favorite yeast for this style?

I have all the ingredients to brew an IIPA Friday that will hopefully finish around 10%. I'm using two packets of US05. It's also going to be my first IIPA, so I am using the recipe Avery Brewing posted on their website, which calls for Cali yeast.

2 pack of US 05 should be a good pitching rate. I was planning on using a liquid yeast possibly a British strain with a 2L starter. But I am defiantly on the fence for yeast choice. Should I go Cali should I go ringwood? Just not sure.

If you're feeling experimentative, try both; Two fermenters, each with their own yeast. Water chemistry plays a part in IPAs and you may get better flavor with one yeast over the other. Another thing to think about, Cali yeast doesn't really clear unless you cold crash it for a little bit, but ringwood should do much better, if that's at all a concern of yours.

I would go with either the classic Chico strain-1056, WLP001, US-05-or something like White Labs WLP090 San Diego Super...highly attenuative and alcohol tolerant. I just think any English yeast except WLP099 Super High Gravity is going to be too fruity, too estery, too malty, not dry enough, and won't accentuate the hops like a good ole American Yeast will!

i normally go with 1056 but this week im gona use ringwood for ****s and giggles

I really enjoy 1056/ WLP001/ S-05 but I think I may switch it up. I've heard good things some the ringwood yeast. I have made a few IPA's using the Wyeadt ESB yeast which has a nice subtle fruit flavor not overpowering. It's has been my house yeast so I may test it with a higher gravity brew.

I've only heard a little about the San Diego super chico yeast and its lighting fast fermentation. Has anyone used this with great results?

WLP007, strong fermenter with a bit of English character. Has become my house strain.

Nothing wrong with WLP001 tho for a big IPA.

I've heard good things some the ringwood yeast.

I like it. its has a good flavor, clears well and once it gets going its fast. You can usually turn a batch around in a week to 10 day, just need to make sure you do a diacetyl rest. Its only draw back is it can be a slow starter so i always make sure to do a starter with it. the last time i used it i did a 2 step with it and it kicked my batch off in 8 hrs.

WLP090 San Diego Super, prepared with a starter, is my go to yeast for IIPA's. High attenuating, better floc than WLP001, clean and allows the hops to shine. I couldn't be happier.

Bells would be my choice. And I've shown it can ferment at least to 12%. You can get very neutral flavor when fermented in low 60's. Or some fruity esters when fermented between 67-70. I've used it in probably half my batches as it's very versatile.

WLP007 or Conan

WLP007 can be every bit as neutral as the Chico strain if you keep the ferment temp low. Although sometimes I do to like mild esters from it with big american hops.

I just think any English yeast except WLP099 Super High Gravity is going to be too fruity, too estery, too malty, not dry enough, and won't accentuate the hops like a good ole American Yeast will!

You can compensate for all that by keeping your mash and fermentation temps down. A lot of micros use English yeasts specifically for the esters, although their fermentation conditions will suppress ester production much more than a homebrew setting. 006 and 007/1098 are both high attenuating without any recipe adjustments. Nothing wrong with Chico yeast, however; it's definitely the default option.

I would recommend wyeast 1056 or white labs 007. I used 1272 on my last DIPA and just wasn't happy with the Attenuation numbers I hit. All though 1272 would be good if you are looking for slightly less attenuation and more malt backbone.

WLP007. High attenuation, highly flocculent, good alcohol tolerance. Keep it in the low to mid 60's and it is extremely clean. This is the yeast DFH uses in 90 Minute and is the homebrewer's yeast that is most equivalent to the Stone house strain.

gbarron said:
WLP007. High attenuation, highly flocculent, good alcohol tolerance

The more I am looking at WLP007 the more I am liking it for the style. It seems like keeping the mash temps lower and ferm temps in the low 60 should work well with this yeast to get an high attenuation and dry finish.

Plus, some of those subtle fruity eater should push through but not take front over the hop profile.

Kinda leaning towards WLP007 so far.

Rebel brewer or harvest from a Rouge Dead Guy

Wow, I didn't know that yeast was available for sale to the public again. After a quick google search, I also found it at morebeer.com*. It's more expensive than the other wyeast yeasts, but that place has some cheap LME once you factor in free shipping! I think I may have to make an order!

*no affiliation with morebeer.com

Pacman is my goto as well for something like this. Glad to see it's back! Just checked and it's at my LHBS as well again! :ban:

I'm planning an IIPA with an abv near 8.5%, I'm interested in using wy1332. Any thoughts?

I just made one and used Dennys Fav 50 after hearing how great it was for IPAs, just bottled it so I haven't gotten to try it yet

I just pitched WLP090 San Diego Super into my IIPA last night after talking with my LHBS owner. Anyone else tried this one out before? I'll be sure to post results. OG was 1.097 with a 90min mash @148F. Not sure how long fermentation times should be though. It's my first IIPA and my first "big" beer.

I would recommend wyeast 1056 or white labs 007. I used 1272 on my last DIPA and just wasn't happy with the Attenuation numbers I hit. All though 1272 would be good if you are looking for slightly less attenuation and more malt backbone.

Funny you mention 1272, as I have started using that strain for my hoppy beers rather than Chico, simply because I get BETTER attenuation with it then with the Chico strain, and I find it highlights the hoppy character of my beers quite nicely. My last DIPA went from 1.089 down to 1.010. and I consistently get over 80% attenuation with it. I guess that particular strain just happens to thrive in my brewery more so than Chico for whatever reason.

I just made one and used Dennys Fav 50 after hearing how great it was for IPAs, just bottled it so I haven't gotten to try it yet

Now that this is ready, I can confirm that Denny's Fav 50 is awesome in IPAs

1450 is killer, also second the recommendations on 007. I fermented my last pale at 64 with the 007 and it was great, super clean.

I did a 1.085/1.018 black IPA with the 1450 and loved it, Those are probably my two favorite strains.

If you want it to dry out more, I'd go with the 007 and if you're looking for more maltyness, go with the 1450.

Back