Whats your favorite yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WLP-001 though I do feel like I should broaden my horizons. I also have lots of strains in mind to try just haven't gotten around to it.
As for the why, it's clean and ferments dry that's what I have been looking for lately so it works. Also the yeast cake seems to be more dense and harder to disturb than WY1056, that helps if you're bottling like me.

Safale US-05 --- My favorite beers are American ambers and American pales and this yeast works well for both. It can be used with a number of other beers as well. Neutral flavor profile that lets the hops and malts shine. And I like the fact that it is a dry yeast. It is economical and I can buy enough at one time so I always have a good supply in the fridge.

Edit: I also keep a couple of packets of Munton's ale yeast on hand for the occasional Irish red ale. This old stand-by yeast starts fast, finishes clean and still makes an outstanding red ale.

I use US-05 and S-04 more often than all others combined. Unless the style requires a Belgian style banana-and-clove profile or a hefe strain, I prefer the yeast to be in the background.

I am starting to bank some yeast from commercial bottles, though. My latest brewing project has a portion made with Duvel harvested yeast.

WLP007. Have had good results and like the English character and extra maltiness. Used to be WLP001.

This question always comes up, lots of other folks will say WLP005.

My favorite is Wyeast 1084, the Irish Ale. I've used it in everything from big bad oatmeal stouts, to Irish reds, all the way down to milds and ESBs. Gives me a nice malty balance, ferments fairly clean, and brew's wonderfully in my cold-ish apartment. :mug:

WLP090. The SD Super Yeast is fast and has the same flavor profile as WLP001. I've started harvesting and reusing it. Incredible yeast. :rockin:

Wyeast 3724! For its amazing stability, reliability, consistency, and predictability.

Just kidding. But sure is tasty.

1272 for APA/IPA's
1968 for ESB's or English brews
3711 for Saisons
1214 or 3787 for Belgians.

A couple of new dry yeasts are beginning to grow on me. I did a couple of batches using BRY-97 and they turned out good. I just bottled a Saison using Belle Saison. It took it all the way down to 1.002 and it tasted very good on Bottling day. It seemed to be a little like 3711 but with a little more spice. In a couple of weeks after it is carbed up I will really get a good chance to see the final taste.

American - PacMan
English - WLP022 (Essex)
Belgian/Saison - Way too much variety 500/550/570/3711

It has no real style/type associated with it, but I really enjoy beers brewed with Brett yeast as the primary strain. I have used WLP650 (Brettt-B) a lot.

Back