What's your favorite temperature controller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Photopilot

Reaction score
So I am looking for a roundup of temperature controllers and how they are used. As I am stepping up from 5 gallon extract brewing and backyard (winter) refrigeration I have a need of different controls for a number of things, so I have been researching these and have learned a bit in the last few days but know there is more out there I have yet to learn. I will start out with what i know to add the info I have gotten.

My initial boil kettle will be controlled with a
A SYL-2352 PID
40 Amp SSR
40 Amp Heat Sync
RTD probe

All of these are from Auberin. Total cost with shipping $130. It arrived in 2 days and the support by phone has been excellent. The PID uses an alogorythm to predict the fluctuations and lags in input to get accurately to your temperatures. The wiring was easy. The settings are a little intimidating but after a few reads I understand most of the settings now.

For refrigeration or heat control there is are Johnson controls and Ranco controls. These are basic plug in to a fridge or heater, do a little programing set, and forget. A 2 stage contoller will let you control both heat and cold in a variable environment, but the built in relay switch in these are half the amp rating of the single stage. These start at $50 or $100 for 1 or 2 stage, including thermo probes but not always power cords.

Love controls are simple switches, with a lot of cool features. Similar to a PID with a lot of parameter controls, but not intelligent in its predictions. The ones I found most interesting is the TSS2 model. It has a 2 stage where you can set a range and it will heat or cool based on the temperature probes input. Also it can accept two inputs (temp probes) and and have two control outputs. They have two relay switches built in at 16A and 8amps for the two. They cost $69 but you will have to add your own thermo probes to it starting at $11 each at Brewers hardware. I am looking at one of these to control my fridge with a light bulb and the fridge to maintain a set temp, with a probe in a thermowel to control fermentation temps. Also one of these will be useful to monitor my HLT and MLT with just one controller and two probes, and later control temp in the HLT if I add an element.

So what do you all use to control temps and how, also include an estimate of the control setup if you could. If you have one of the more advance control systems nows the chance to show off what it can do as well.

Thanks for sharing.

Back