What's your favorite source for recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xpertskir

Reaction score
I'm at the point now with brewing as I am with cooking where I look at a bunch of recipes for a style and use then to make my own. So I'm looking for some good recipe resources.

You know, I have three that I use.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f82/ is the most common one for me to look at. I know it's part of this forum, but it really is the most solid group of recipes I've seen anywhere.

The second one I use quite often is Brewing Classic Styles, by Jamil Zainasheff (and John Palmer). The reason is Jamil nails the BJCP guidelines and tells you what each addition brings to the recipe. So, if I make a California common, Jamil mentions you want the "toasty" flavor. That helped me be a better brewer.

The last one isn't a recipe resource really, but I use the BJCP guidelines. They tell me the OG, FG, SRM, and ingredients in every style. Then I make a recipe based on that information, especially for styles I don't brew very often (like Belgian Tripels).

I don't really use any other recipe resources.

I also use Brewing Classic Styles for when I try a new style of beer. It's a great way to taste what the style is supposed to taste like before I try making own recipe.

BCS and the NHC award winning recipes are some of my favorites. You can find the NHC recipes on the AHA website. I like these sources because they have award-winning, proven recipes. If you brew them and they come out bad you know it isn't a recipe issue but rather a technique issue.

You know, I have three that I use.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f82/ is the most common one for me to look at. I know it's part of this forum, but it really is the most solid group of recipes I've seen anywhere.

The second one I use quite often is Brewing Classic Styles, by Jamil Zainasheff (and John Palmer). The reason is Jamil nails the BJCP guidelines and tells you what each addition brings to the recipe. So, if I make a California common, Jamil mentions you want the "toasty" flavor. That helped me be a better brewer.

The last one isn't a recipe resource really, but I use the BJCP guidelines. They tell me the OG, FG, SRM, and ingredients in every style. Then I make a recipe based on that information, especially for styles I don't brew very often (like Belgian Tripels).

I don't really use any other recipe resources.

I'm basically the same, except I've never done a recipe from HBT. I'll get around to brewing one eventually.

What I usually do is start with the BJCP guidelines, the ingredients and flavors/aromas they list, then use the ingredients I like with the right character, in the right amount to get me within those guidelines. Then I'll usually compare it with what JZ has for that style in Brewing Classic Styles and make sure I'm not too far out of whack. I'm usually pretty close.

I also use Brewing Classic Styles for when I try a new style of beer. It's a great way to taste what the style is supposed to taste like before I try making own recipe.

BCS is an excellent resource.

Back