What's your Favorite Hop Variety and Why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Cascade the most, but when I do SMaSH recipes I use a hop I am not too familiar with. Or something that sounds fun. I did one with Maris Otter and Nugget hops. I called it Otter's Nuggets. It was interesting. Very good, a little strange.

Just made a SMaSH with Maris otter and Mosaic it's not ready yet, but the little gravity sample tasted really nice. The citrus is there,b it is not overwhelming and I like that.

I just did a Sour IPA with 100% Belma Leaf... I love the Mandarin Orange/Tangerine flavor I got from them.

CTZ is my favorite though. Depending on when you use it, you can get super bitter, White Grapefruit, Grapefruit Zest and Tart Grapefruit from it.

Citra with a close second to Mosaic... I buy Citra by the lbs yearly to make Zombie Dust all year long...

I absolutely love the smell of Cascades, Northern Brewer, Nugget, Fuggles, and Saaz since they've been the varieties I've brewed with the most often lately.

Right now it is Mosaic. I like the tropical fruit flavors and nose-mango, mandarin orange, and grapefruit. I have made a couple of batches of a Pilsner/Mosaic SMaSh that is very well received by all that have tried it.

I always like a basic Cascade pale ale too.

Chinook is a fantastic single hop. You really can't go wrong with the C hops. Cascade, Columbus, Citra, Centennial.

For european hops, I like the classic saaz or EKG.

Definitely Centennial. Classic C-hop grapefruit, like super cascade, but less floral. I can't get enough of it. There are lots of other great varieties too. Citra is amazing paired with Centennial and/or other hops that have a little bite.

Citra has been my favorite so far. My IPA's seem like they're lacking something without it.

I just did a Galaxy semi-SMaSH a few weeks ago and it was great. I'd say it's became my second favorite.

Definitely Centennial. Classic C-hop grapefruit, like super cascade, but less floral. I can't get enough of it. There are lots of other great varieties too. Citra is amazing paired with Centennial and/or other hops that have a little bite.

Definitely love Centennial too.

I remember making the Dead Ringer and how well it tasted. My cousin and me went to a local brewery and had one of their IPAs that was all Centennial. Due to this hobby, it was pretty cool knowing I was going to like their IPA before I drunk it.

I love trying new hops so I mix it up all the time, but the one I always come back to more than any other is Simcoe. There's just no other hop like it. I can't think of a "substitute" for it if I really wanted that hop profile and was out of Simcoe.

Liberty. Clean bitterness, light floral, lovely "soft hop" character. I prefer it to the old world noble hops.

Centennial is a close second. Two hearted is on my personal best beers ever short list.

I have not liked Citra this year. Lots of diesel. Definitely not a crisp and citrusy as in years past.

Centennial, Cascade, Citra,Chinook. Tried Liberty in a couple batches of Vienna Lager that I really liked. Just made a pale ale with Mosaic as the aroma hop, so I'm waiting for that. Smelled really good!

Back