What's your favorite/best yeast for mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pretty much always use D47 or EC-1118. I should probably try some others, but I just like those two - for no particular reason at all other than what I've read.

I have don't any side-by-side comparisons to say that one is "better" than the other, but I know that Montrachet is probably not a good choice based on some things I've read (it's good to make authentic Apfelwein, though).

Good link Nurmey - a wealth of information.

I probably use D-47 twice as much as all the others combined, but I also like (in descending order) K1V-1116, 71B-1122, EC-1118, and RC 212 - all depending upon the mead style, of course.

So, d-47? I'll have to pick some up.
What's the consensus on cote des blanc?
Thanks

You should check out Ken Schramm's book The Compleat Mead Maker

He has several pages on all the commercially available wine/champagne yeasts and his compiled data on which work well for specific styles.
i.e. some are great to accentuate the fruits in melomels, etc.

I myself have made a lot of 13-14% ABV meads with the Edme ale yeast strain, which is now sold by Fermentis as S-33

Yes, its an ale yeast, and yes it does attenuate up to 14% ABV before it keels over (takes about 1 month in primary). I've had a lot better results with it than Wyeast's sweet mead packs.

I myself have made a lot of 13-14% ABV meads with the Edme ale yeast strain, which is now sold by Fermentis as S-33

Yes, its an ale yeast, and yes it does attenuate up to 14% ABV before it keels over (takes about 1 month in primary). I've had a lot better results with it than Wyeast's sweet mead packs.

We have a guy in the brewclub that makes INCREDIBLE meads and he uses nothing but beer yeasts in his.

I'll be putting some US-05 in a sweet mead this evening.

I like the results I've gotten with D-47, K1-V1116, EC-1118, and Premire Cuvee. There are plenty of yeast strains to choose from though & all have advantages & disadvantages, depending on what you're using them for. In the words of Jack Keller: "Choose your yeast as you would choose a tool." Regards, GF.

US-05, an amazing yeast for Meads, Ales, and for doing fake Lagers.
D-47
SN-11 (local country variant I suspect is just repackaged EC-1118 for local market)

I use the first two almost as much as each other on equal basis, only occasionally use SN-11.

I've always been a fan of wyeast 1056 american ale, it can get up to 12-14% before petering out, and the fruity esters it produces work really well with meads, particularly orange blossom honey.

Back