Whats your ethnicity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whats your Ethnicity?

• African American

• Asian

• Caucasian

• Hispanic

• Latino

• Middle East

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Is this not a racist thread? And so what if all you see are Caucasians at the LBHS.....

Why is any mention of race or noticing of race considered racist? This isn't meant as an attack on PackerfaninSanDiego, but a reference to something that really bothers me. Sorry, but the first thing noticed about a person is the color of their skin--it's not racist, just simple observation. The second thing noticed is gender--and it's not sexist. We humans put things and even people into categories. It is how we are wired to think. The only way we will become a post-racial society is if we can talk about our features and differences without people of any color taking offense.

English, Irish, Scottish and what Grandma called Pennsylvania Dutch (German). Apparently long line of alcohol swilling outlaws half ran to America other half sent to Australia. Great Uncle ran a still and liked to hide it on Sheriff's property.

Reminder, this may not be the thread for you. If it's not, please do not post to it.

If you see something "racist" please flag it and it will be reviewed by the mods and myself.

When you think about it, this forum is very geek-heavy. I mean that in the most loving way! Many of our active members are engineers or IT folks. This forum appeals to the geek/nerd type I think.

As a professional economist, I hope I qualify as geeky too! Any other social scientists on the forum? How about "real" scientists--physicists, biologists, etc?

I wonder if it's really true that engineers have more representation here, or just that their particular expertise is more usually germane to the topics of discussion. For example, there are lots of discussions about brew kettle/MLT/fermenter design, experimental procedures and results or other topics that engineers would be able to speak professionally to. There aren't too many threads on here about estimating supply/demand elasticities for craft brew, or the problems of market failure as applied to brewing supplies and equipment. If there were, I'd happily chime in!

As a professional economist, I hope I qualify as geeky too! Any other social scientists on the forum? How about "real" scientists--physicists, biologists, etc?

I wonder if it's really true that engineers have more representation here, or just that their particular expertise is more usually germane to the topics of discussion. For example, there are lots of discussions about brew kettle/MLT/fermenter design, experimental procedures and results or other topics that engineers would be able to speak professionally to. There aren't too many threads on here about estimating supply/demand elasticities for craft brew, or the problems of market failure as applied to brewing supplies and equipment. If there were, I'd happily chime in!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/whats-your-occupation-engineer-non-engineer-135492/

There's a thread asking that same question. Engineers aren't the majority, but 40%. So I'd venture to say there's more engineers of one stripe or another than any other profession on this board.

Me, I'm one of those apparently elusive blue collar brewers.

Maybe- but here's the thing. My mother's family is originally from the south. We definitely had African and Native American (my grandma was part Shawnee). But since it was absolutely taboo for the races to mix, anybody who was dark was "French". One was "Hungarian" and she looks exactly like a Mayan from the Yucatan. Sure, there were whispers, but if you could "pass" you were fine. I remember a cousin being born, and my grandma (the white grandma), seeing the baby and saying "Oh, good. She can pass.". "Passing" meant being able to pass as a white person, of course.

I remember colored and white movie theatres, and colored and white water fountains. If you were "colored" at all, you were NOT white.

And so we were all white, but some of the darker members of my family were "French" or "Hungarian". To admit you were part Native American meant no job, except as a maid or hired hand.

That's fascinating background Yooper. I hope it was clear that I wasn't poking holes in any individual poster's claimed Native American ancestry with my previous comment, just observing that it's not uncommon for there to be claims when they might not really mean anything. For the record, I think the probability that I have Native American heritage is about the same as anyone else's, despite that fact that it's the "received wisdom" in my family that we have a Native American ancestor aways back somewhere.

I would actually be pretty interested to know my genetic makeup, since I look more or less like your average white American, but my family history (particularly on my dad's side) is almost completely unknown. It would be cool to see how the map looks. Maybe someday when genetic testing is cheaper I'll try it just for the heck of it. I wouldn't be shocked if there were some surprises in there somewhere!

Ancestry DNA tests are down to $180 each for maternal and paternal. Paternal tests tell you the most as far as where you are from. The newer test gives you a regional distribution.

To Yoopers earlier point

There was a show on PBS awhile back, where they ask people where their family was from, as well as why they believed that. They then DNA tested them and gave the them the results. The belief that there was Native American (Asian in DNA testing) blood in the family ran equally among Caucasian and African American participants shown. In many cases it was not the case. There also had a couple people who believed to be full blooded Native American, who tested not to be.

It just goes to show that what has been passed down thru the generations of a family was selective, not necessarily the whole truth.

I encourage everybody to explore their family history thru both DNA and records. For me it was a fascinating journey sorting fact from fiction, and learning interesting facts about history and family along the way.

English, Irish, Scottish and what Grandma called Pennsylvania Dutch (German). Apparently long line of alcohol swilling outlaws half ran to America other half sent to Australia. Great Uncle ran a still and liked to hide it on Sheriff's property.

PA Dutch usually means amish, which is ironic because amish dosnt mean german although they speak it. They are a mixture of german, swiss, netherlands, and eastern eroupean decent.

PA Dutch usually means amish, which is ironic because amish dosnt mean german although they speak it. They are a mixture of german, swiss, netherlands, and eastern eroupean decent.

Don't know a Dutchy that considers themselves Amish once now anyway. Mennonites are big here though. My local post office still has two parking spaces for horse and buggys with tie up posts...even have white horseshoes painted on the ground like they do with the wheelchair on handicapped spots. The real stedfast old timers still say Pa German.

I'm so far removed from my ancestoral ethnic roots all I know is I'm a tan to light skinned American. I was born here and my ancestors lived here more generations than anybody in the family remembers. It's pretty easy for my wife to go back to her roots, she's second generation Japanese-American but more than that she is just an American. She refers to herself as Japanese at times and I find it amusing. She also brews.

So I voted other.

Back