What's your best 'fast' brew beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malric

Reaction score
I'm getting together with a bunch of friend in four weeks to the day and could use something fast, grain to glass (keg). I have several APA, milds, etc that I've done that would work, but I'm interested in what YOUR best fast brew beer is.

Unfiltered hefeweizen
4 weeks grain to glass.
Of course it gets better with a little time but it is still very good in 4 weeks.
Otherwise, yeah an APA

Kind of an odd ball one here but I just did the 'sweet stout' from NorthernBrewer's recipe bank. I took a page from Gordon Strong's playbook and added the dark grains to the MT right before lauter. Fermented for 10 days and was drinking on the 11th. It's an excellent recipe (though I might back it down by half the lactose ... it's pretty thick)

the first kit i bought that i secondaried after day 3 and bottled on day 16. haha it was a "munich dark lager" with coopers yeast and actually wasn't that bad, but i basically never rush a beer anyway.

An English bitter... 1 week to ferment, and 1 week in the keg to carb. Yummy goodness! It will even look nice with that wicked floc'ing English yeast.

My 'Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone' is super fast.

It's pretty simple, and hoppy, and I changed it up a little to had hops just at regular intervals (60/15/10/0/dryhop) and I"m always drinking it about day 17.

+1 on an English Bitter. I just brewed the "Common Room ESB" in the recipe section. Grain to glass in 2 weeks. Came out awesome. 7 days fermenting, 48 hour cold crash, 5 days carbing in keg. Fairly simple grain bill. I don't normally rush a beer, but I needed this for Christmas. I was surprised it came out so good. I love simple grain bills.

Wheats seem to be best on a 2 week primary, 1.5 week carb schedule. They begin to lose some of that zip by week 6.

My 'Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone' is super fast.

It's pretty simple, and hoppy, and I changed it up a little to had hops just at regular intervals (60/15/10/0/dryhop) and I"m always drinking it about day 17.
This is my new favorite beer and would love to brew.what did you change? Is it from recipe section here? I thought I seemed a bit mild on the hops,Thats whet I liked about it.I didn't think it was "in your face Hoppy"

Edwort's Hefeweizen gets my vote

10 days in primary at 68F
Cold crash 2 days and Keg
Carbonate at 30psi for 36-48 hours at 39F

Ready to drink

That's 14 days Grain to Glass. It is a delicious beer and my next one up to brew.

I do an ordinary bitter sometimes and over pitch notty. Maybe ten days because I drink it as real ale (running beer) with not much carbonation.

If you are kegging, you should be able to do just about anything that isn't exceptionally high gravity. I don't know about eveyone else, but, with a solid starter, 2 weeks in primary and ~36hrs at 50psi is about all I need for a anything under 8% ABV and/or doesn't require dry-hopping.

For a "gotta have a beer now" fix though, besides a hefe (10d ferment) I do a sierra nevada pale ale clone. Basic, easy, relatively tasty, and the holiday visitors swarm on it, leaving the sour and mayan cholocate stout to yours truly.

I was just talking about this last night with my buddy... we kind of thought maybe we both make a beer and let our out-of-state friends kind of compare the two. To be honest... I would really like to show him up on this one. I am not a jerk or egotistical at all, but he talks a big game when its not a contest. That being said, all my out of state friends go crazy for our local blueberry wheat beers. Would I have time to make one of these before Super Bowl? I think that makes it approx. 6 weeks?

I currently am very comfortable with my 5 gallon partial mash process, and we just got a kegging system we are going to try for the first time. If I figure that out, the keg will be kicked on New Years Eve and be ready for the Super Bowl showdown.

This is my new favorite beer and would love to brew.what did you change? Is it from recipe section here? I thought I seemed a bit mild on the hops,Thats whet I liked about it.I didn't think it was "in your face Hoppy"

I just changed the 'continuous hopping' to 60/15/10/0, (all warrior or magnum at 60, and the simcoe/Amarillo at 15/10/5/dryhop) and lowered the grainbill a bit to get it to 1.050. It's super quick, and I love it.

too many to list.. I've really been into "quick" beers lately... 1.050 and below ales go fairly quickly, especially if you keg.
SMaSH 2-row with Centennial is pretty darn good, but I think my favorite is:
Blonde ver. 5.0
6.5 lb 2-row
1.0 lb honey malt
0.5 lb munich

1.0 oz Hallertau for 60 mins
1.0 oz Hallertau for 15 mins

safale US-05

mash @ 153+/-

pretty simple and tasty BIAB. This recipe evolved from my 2010 dirty blonde recipe and was influenced by my 2-row SMaSH. I tried to make the dirty blonde simpler as it was starting to get very kitchen sinkey.

have fun.

I've done a couple of milds served from cask in two weeks from brewing. OG around 1035-1038, simple grist and rack to cask when the fermentation is slowing down. Last one had just pale malt and six ounces of dark invert. Very easy to drink. The only challenging thing is to clear them well.

...For a "gotta have a beer now" fix though, besides a hefe (10d ferment) I do a sierra nevada pale ale clone. Basic, easy, relatively tasty, and the holiday visitors swarm on it, leaving the sour and mayan cholocate stout to yours truly.

I ended up going with the Nierra Sevada from Bier Muncher. I'm bringing a keg of imperial black IPA for myself, so this should serve the BMC crowd well.

Vienna SMaSH - grain to glass in 11 days.
:mug:

Do you have a recipe for this? Sounds tasty!

Dry stout has been a quick go-to of mine, 10% roasted barley, 20% flaked barley, 70% pale ale or marris otter malt. 1.050 OG'ish. Shoot for 35-40 ibu with something neutral, s-04 in low 60's came out great or s-05 for a cleaner character. A little green at 2 weeks, but great at 3.

I also grind the roasted barley to a powder from Jamil's advice, huge difference in a beer like this. It adds a ridiculous depth of flavor to the roasted barley.

Dry stout has been a quick go-to of mine, 10% roasted barley, 20% flaked barley, 70% pale ale or marris otter malt. 1.050 OG'ish. Shoot for 35-40 ibu with something neutral, s-04 in low 60's came out great or s-05 for a cleaner character. A little green at 2 weeks, but great at 3.

I also grind the roasted barley to a powder from Jamil's advice, huge difference in a beer like this. It adds a ridiculous depth of flavor to the roasted barley.

i was also thinking of a low gravity stout as a quick and tasty beer. however, grinding the roasted barley i've never heard of. it really works?

I envision a coffee grinder in action here. Do you put the finished powder in a paint bag or just mix it into the grain? More details would be appreciated. Thanks for sharing.

i was also thinking of a low gravity stout as a quick and tasty beer. however, grinding the roasted barley i've never heard of. it really works?

Yes I think so, I've made that dry stout almost a dozen times and sold a couple kegs to a little bar years ago.

I use this guy

cuisinart-burr.jpg

Got it from Target I think. You can use any grinder really, but the burr grinder helps really make a fine powder. I go as fine as I can with it, and then add it right before mash out. Don't need to mash it the whole time as it will extract everything really quickly being a powder, and less contact time is less tannins and harshness from the roasted grain. I just toss it in, but I have good false bottoms and haven't had any issues yet.

For 5g

1lb roasted barley
2lbs flaked barley
7lbs pale malt/marris otter

1.25oz Magnum at 60 (15%)

If you wanted to go more english, use S-04 ferment low 60's and sub fuggles or something similar to get around 35 ibu. More American'ish, use the magnum and s-05, ferment mid 60's. Mash at 150-152F for 60 mins.

I apologize for the late reply. We actually did this as a club brewday. Very tasty.
10 lbs - Vienna
1oz - Hallertauer, 60 min ~16 IBU's
1oz - Hallertauer, 15 min ~8 IBU's
Wyeast 1056
OG 1.052
FG 1.012

Do you have a recipe for this? Sounds tasty!

Back