What's your best American Brown Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastbaybrewer

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good american brown ale. Something with a good hop presence. I've made a few that were good but not great. Thanks

I have made one American brown ale but 3-4 British brown ales. The American brown was just good. I need to tweak that one a bit.

I checked out the Caribou Slobber recipe and grain bill looks good. What do you guys think about changing the hops to maybe Chinook, Columbus, and Bravo? Bittering to around 40 ibus.

I have to agree with Jim Rausch. Caribou Slobber is one of my favorite brown recipies. I have others that I have modified from this one, that are my own. But to start with this one, you can't go wrong

Janet’s Brown.
IMG_4085.jpg

Yes, it’s in my kegerator now. Kind of like a brown ipa. The chocolate malt and citrus hops work great together.

CYBI's clone recipe for Moose Drool is a one of a couple of brown ales that I like to brew. The show notes for the clone attempt are interesting as well. (Yes, I've heard it said that NB's Caribou Slobber is also a clone of MD - but there are no show notes for their recipe o_O).

Sadly (for me anyway), Bell's Best Brown is a fall seasonal. But it's not hard to find a couple of clone recipes that are good starting points (and enjoyable beers on their own).

I haven't yet brewed Janet's Brown Ale (https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/janets-brown-ale/). I've tasted it from other homebrewers and it was a nice strong brown / brown IPA. More evidence that the list of National Homebrew Competition winners is a good resource for recipes (and inspiration).

I brewed Janet’s Brown a while back and loved it. Only change I made was I threw some mosaic into the dry hop. It’s hard to argue with a recipe that has won so many awards!

Back