What's your accent?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pegged my arse as a cheesehead. Here's some excerpts:

------------------
Your Result: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."
------------------

I don't say pop though...

It's blocked here at work so I'll check it out later.

The longer I get from living in New Jersey, the more I've noticed that I have an accent on certain words. Sometimes it's more thick than others. Words like coffee, dog, and Boston seem to come out with an -aw sound like cawffee. I also find that even just talking about NJ makes my accent come out. The weird thing was that I never thought I had a Jersey accent until 4 or 5 years ago.

Totally off for me. Pegged me as Inland North but I've lived in CT almost my entire life except for a brief stint in boston for college. I guess I'm just one of the few New Englanders that pronounce all my letters....:D

If it didn't come out with 100% Boston for me I'd have though it was bunk - but it did. I get more sh*t when I'm traveling than I ever would have believed. I've been told it's worse than a Southern drawl......but I just don't hear it that way.:D

It nailed me, suggesting I'm from Minnesota (actually the UP of Michigan) and get mistaken for a Canadian. Truly does happen on the time! Even my dad's next door neighbor who's known me all my life asked me if I've been living in Canada, or in Fargo!

olllllo said:
Milwaukee enclave:

Soda
Bubbler

Took me a good 3-5 years to train my wife to stop asking where the Tyme machine or bubbler was out here. "They don't know what that means honey". :rolleyes:

"Standard English straight out of the dictionary" This is the American Broadcast accent.

Tie breaker: What do you call a large sandwich made on a long roll? I've seen over a dozen variations.

I came out as Midland, woohoo! Born in Minnesota, living in Texas, I suppose that about averages out.

Inland North as well.

I gre up calling it "pop", but a year away at school and I started calling it soda after realizing that we're the only ones who call it pop. I don't use "pop" any more.

david_42 said:
"Standard English straight out of the dictionary" This is the American Broadcast accent.

Tie breaker: What do you call a large sandwich made on a long roll? I've seen over a dozen variations.

I used to call them hoagies but now I just call them subs.

Some across the US (you know who you are) call any "soda/pop" a coke. Even if it's a 7up etc. That one I never understood... I think that's a southern region thing?

sause said:
Another inland norther here... I always say pop is for p*ssy's and thats why FIB's call it pop.

HEY! I'm no p*ssy and definatly not a FIB and everyone here in Ohio calls it pop.

Don't be hatin' :mug:

desertBrew said:
Some across the US (you know who you are) call any "soda/pop" a coke. Even if it's a 7up etc. That one I never understood... I think that's a southern region thing?

I never got that either. Hows the conversation go when ordering?

you: "I'll have a coke"
waitress: "What kind?"
you: "A Mountian Dew"

WHat>?!

I'm pretty sure (never experienced first hand) in Mass. they call it Tonic :confused:

This is third hand but a friend of mine told me about this meeting where someone for Mississippi asked the hotel services for a "Diet Coke" in such an affected accent that she was brought a Taco. Pronounced... Die ah ko

desertBrew said:

SO...after checking out that website a little further it makes me wonder...

First, respondant is NOT a word

Second, if you View the Pop vs. Soda statistics they show you what people are saying for "other" it's quite hilarious!

Just check it out...

And yes, I'm really bored at work.

I have a Midland accent. Which I guess means no accent. Also, I say Hoagie and Soda

Edit: I also just found out that I'm 23% a genius!

I took it. It says I'm from the Midland which included Pennsylvania so I guess that's close enough.

Torben Ulrich said:
Yeah, North Jersey!
Representing wayne, willowbrook mall, lincoln park, butler, west milford...

SWMBO is from Wayne. You didn't attend Neumann Prep high school did you?

Another inland North here. No accent whatsoever. :cross:

North Central. Born and raised on the west coast though. The clincher is that my father is Canadian from Montreal and my mother is from California. My paternal grandmother is from Lancashire in England. To my Canadian friends I sound like a Canadian that's spent a few years in the states. My American friends just think I'm from the west coast.

This is BS! I've lived in rural NC all of my life and it says I've got a Philadelphia accent! Ridiculous!
I also took the mental disorder quiz. Said I was paranoid. People are always saying that. Mostly behind my back while they're out to get me.:mad:

Nailed it.

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

I'm from Iowa but Missouri is pretty much the same State only more South.

When I moved from Iowa to Texas they put me in speech therapy but I guess it didn't help.

SOB said:
I never got that either. Hows the conversation go when ordering?

you: "I'll have a coke"
waitress: "What kind?"
you: "A Mountian Dew"
I've had almost that exact conversation in San Antonio:

Me: "A Coke, please."
Waitress: "What kind?"
Me: "What?"
Waitress: "What kind of Coke?"
Me: "Umm...regular?"
Waitress: "Coca-Cola?"
Me: "I didn't know there were other kinds..."

The quiz was dead-on for me - Midland. I grew up in PA, and most folks tell me I don't have a very distinct accent.

Yuri_Rage said:
I've had almost that exact conversation in San Antonio:

Me: "A Coke, please."
Waitress: "What kind?"
Me: "What?"
Waitress: "What kind of Coke?"
Me: "Umm...regular?"
Waitress: "Coca-Cola?"
Me: "I didn't know there were other kinds..."

The quiz was dead-on for me - Midland. I grew up in PA, and most folks tell me I don't have a very distinct accent.

yep, a coke is a coke. hell, i'll tell you what i hate is when people call it pop... or call rubber bands- 'gum bands'

i knew i guy who had THE thickest Tennessee accent, he called all soda 'coal drink' (cold drink)... that meant coke.... he also ate bull testicules, so i think i am the normal one....

The thing missed me by a long shot. I do agree that I don't have an accent though:

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

Edit: Same as TxBrew.:ban:

holstein.gif

That should be Dude's avatar. :D

desertBrew said:
Took me a good 3-5 years to train my wife to stop asking where the Tyme machine or bubbler was out here. "They don't know what that means honey". :rolleyes:

Tyme machine, LOL. You don't know how bad I used to get laughed at during my first few years in the Air Force. I used to say that all the time. I still get picked on for "aboat" (about) and bayg (bag).

nikkimac1027 said:
whats a bubbler?

LOL!!!

olllllo said:
Some of this is over-the-top but this page explains it.
http://www.bratwurstpages.com/dialect.html

I've been looking for a page like that. Their used to be one called "Speak "Scansin" but it disappeared long ago. That **** makes me laugh.

SwAMi75 said:
That should be Dude's avatar.

Which one is me?

Back