What's wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AK-brewgirl

Reaction score
I am brewing a Belgium beer and it has now been in the fermenter since Sunday night (today is Tuesday) and I am not seeing any action. I checked in the bucket and there seems to be a lot of foam on top, so it looks like it is working- should I be worried that it is not working? I pitched the yeast at 68. Could the I have ruined the yeast?

Update - beer is working - all is good.

Last edited:
That description appears to be of normal fermentation krausen, can get a really good dense foamy top during a Belgian ferment.

If there's a lot of foam, why are you worried that it isn't working?
Thank you - I was concerned because with all the beers I have brewed over the years I have never had to wait 48 hours for the beer to start and I was also using a new yeast. However, it has started to work, so I am good but thanks for your response.

Assuming you have a brew bucket and a drilled, grommeted hole for an airlock in the top, you're not going to see bubbles unless the lid seals tightly against the bucket. And, of course, when you opened the bucket, you released any internal pressure, so there's that, too.

Back