What's wrong with Netflix streaming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More of a rant than anything, but the whole premise of Netflix gets me upset.

I really don't understand why 20 year old movies, books, music can't be free. Especially the digital versions. The artists, actors, musicians, movie studios, publishers have already made their money back 100-fold.

I was disgusted lately by an article in the paper where movie studios claimed disappointment that recent remakes of 2 children's movies into 3-d because they only generated 100 million in sales and the rendering process only cost them a couple of million to make. Are you kidding me??? They are disappointed because their investment only grew %5000?

Netflix streaming sucks. I expected the same catalog as the DVD service and you don't get squat but old TV re-runs. I'm dumping it. I dumped hulu, too.

I dig netflix, but I haven't had cable in years. There is a ton of good stuff on there. I challenge anyone to watch it all.

If you have little kids, I don't think you can beat it. That's why I pay the 9 bucks a month. The other 9 I pay for two discs are for new releases and just random discovery. I find a lot of odd stuff that holds my interest.

Sure, I wish streaming became available as new BDs come out but you can't blame a studio for holding them back so they can try to make a buck on BD sales. I believe the limited catalog for older titles is more limited by server space/demand rather than the license costs but I can be wrong.

Netflix streaming selection does suck, but at $8 a month it's not terrible. I can usually find something to watch and there's no commercials or ads which is nice.

I rarely sit down in front of my TV, but when I do I know EXACTLY what I want to see. I won't settle for just "something". I typically use IMDB to see what's new, then scan the reviews, then get the movie. I.e., tonight it will be Final Destination 5 - 3D. Woot!

BTW, I was a Netflix subscriber for more than 10 years, starting in the 90's. Things were quite different back then. I remember the 100 movies for $100. After that, it changed to unlimited, but you had to return the movie within 1 week. When they started charging more for bluray, I began thinking about dumping them. Then I started having fun with 3D and decided Netflix wasn't worth it anymore.

Now that they signed with Disney, the kids selection really got better, even though I hate disney.

Their foreign selection is good, better than anything else around. I watch a lot of Asian flix.

They openly state streaming costs them much less, so I'm hoping the content matches the dvd/bluray selection soon. If the studios would pull their heads out of their a's.

I actually got my internet shut off because I streamed too much data. Now I pay extra for an unpublished truly unlimited high speed connection. The HD stuff consumes a lot of bandwidth.

More of a rant than anything, but the whole premise of Netflix gets me upset.

I really don't understand why 20 year old movies, books, music can't be free. Especially the digital versions. The artists, actors, musicians, movie studios, publishers have already made their money back 100-fold.

The movies, books and music are private property.
Why would anyone give them away? If people want to watch a movie, read a book or listen to music, it still has value.

Do you give away stuff when you think you've gotten enough value out of it?

I dig netflix, but I haven't had cable in years. There is a ton of good stuff on there. I challenge anyone to watch it all.

I don't love Netflix but I do enjoy it. It has challenged me to watch movies/TV shows that I would normally not watch and got met to really enjoy them.

For example: Arrested Development, The League, Friday Night Lights, and Louie. These are more "Cult Following" but are extremely good TV Show.

Plus there are some Beer documentaries that are well....fascinating. "How Beer Saved the World" helps me legitimize my sometimes heavy beer drinking. If it weren't for beer...we all wouldn't be here.

I have Netflix and Amazon Prime on Roku. I pay about 8 bucks per month for each, but I get free shipping on my Amazon purchases. Between the two I can watch just about anything. Amazon also offers cheap pay-per-view as well. It's a buck or 2 cheaper than Directv.

I like them because I was able to get rid of 3 cable boxes at $5 Per month each, so I break even and get a better selection of shows and movies.

Wow. $9 for unlimited streaming. Another $9 for DVDs/Blu-rays.

That's like 3 rentals in my small town. If I rented only 1 disc per weekend locally I have already paid the monthly fee and then some. And no late fees. And no driving to the store. And the selection of dics is VASTLY better.

Frankly, I think Netflix is a bargain. I'd like to discuss it more, but I have a DVD of Sledgehammer to watch...

For example: Arrested Development, The League, Friday Night Lights, and Louie. These are more "Cult Following" but are extremely good TV Show.

If those are considered "cult" I'd like to know what you think are "mainstream".:) Most of the titles you list were big hits on TV...

I think Netflix is pretty darn good...their quality is only as good as the deals they strick with the production houses/networks. If they don't want to play ball with Netflix, the content is unavailable...unless you are a place like Sony that starts their own streaming business.

You know what I'm tired of? If a movie was good in 1950 that doesn't make it the best movie ever now. I'm tired of having this conversation.

"Have you seen _____?"

"I have not, is it on Netflix?"

"Hell yeah it is best movie ever. Can't believe you haven't seen it."

"It's not the best movie ever."

"What do you mean? You haven't even seen it."

"Well unless it starts with Mystery and ends with Men and stars Kel from All That then I doubt it's the best movie ever.".

The three greatest movies aren't even on those list.

1. Mystery Men
2. Good Burger
3. Like Mike 2 Street Ball.

Good Burger was hilarious. Not in my top three but close.

If people want to watch a movie, read a book or listen to music, it still has value. Do you give away stuff when you think you've gotten enough value out of it?

I couldn't have said it better myself. Does that mean that an older house should be free because the original owners have gotten all the value they deserve out of it?

No, because if someone wants to live there then there is still a value there and that can then be fairly charged for...

I can't get BMC at my favorite liquor store, but I can get hundreds of independent crafts and dozens of quality imports.
I always have 500 in my Netflix queue. Hundreds are independents and dozens of quality imports. 100 of those on the nose are currently available in my Instant queue.
But then I don't drink BMC.

Good Burger was hilarious. Not in my top three but close.

Watch it a few more times.

Proof Sinbad is the greatest actor ever next to Kel Mitchell. Two power houses in that one.

Netflix streaming is AWESOME.

It doesn't have absolutely EVERYTHING YOU EVER WANTED???????? Well HECK FIRE!!!! I am sure that somewhere, they guarantee to supply absolutely everything ever.............and You expect that for 7.99/month? wow.

The netflix interface on wii blows HULU, Roku, and whatever else off of the map.

There are THOUSANDS of titles. Many of them AWESOME.

If you are visually impaired (HD eyes) then you have my sympathy and I can understand your bitching.

Short of that, you are missing the boat if you dumped Netflix just because it didn't have EXACTLY the title you wanted.

I have watched a hundred or so mildly lifechanging movies on Netflix that I would NOT have otherwise seen, probably because they don't have every movie ever, or I would have watched something else.

Did you SEE the Good on Netflix Thread with 2000 or so views?
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/good-netflix-streaming-330058/

Anyone else controlling Netflix with their Android phone on their TV using their PS3?

While Netflix may not have "every dam& thing", it sure beats having to drive to the rental place to find that what you want is already out. I haven't set foot in a rental place (excluding Red Box) in ages.

As others have mentioned, there's still value in older stuff, and they have to pay royalties to the people that are owed it.

I've actually upgraded my internet from DSL to cable modem BECAUSE of Netflix. I've been catching up on a lot of stuff (shows and movies alike) and quite happy with it.

I guess they could have a free service that incorporates ads for older shows...

MC

Anyone else controlling Netflix with their Android phone on their TV using their PS3?

I run it on my EVO 4G and ps3, having it on your phone is a must if you want to go out to dinner with a 3 year old that can't sit still. The only slightly annoying thing on the ps3 is it always seems to have an update right when I want to watch something, but I can wait the 2 minutes it takes.

Edit: read that wrong, nevermind....

As a lazy fool I don't always feel like finding the PS3 controller when it is out of arms reach. My cell is always in hand or pocket.

The downside of Netflix is that my wife spent about a week straight watching Glee on our TV. I quickly adapted to using the headphone jack on my laptop.

It's got Star Trek, however the only John Candy movie is Planes, Trains, & Automobiles and Blues Brothers and the Big Lewbowski are gone. I know this doesn'y meaningfully contribute to the conversation. Thankfully, it's not very meaningful to begin with.

Some stuff comes and goes...it can be frustrating if you're in the middle of a series. But 5-year-old grand-daughter was psyched to watch newly-added Disney with me today (I seriously don't think I ever saw Dumbo before....pretty "trippy" at times...read the IMDB trivia notes before you watch!)

Agreed, the Wii interface is clunky compared to my pc...but it was already connected to the TV (how outdated is that term?) so easily-configured has its advantages.

I agree with DromJohn. Although Netflix doesn't have a lot of recent main stream movies, they are on point with their indie, classics, and foreign films.

Netflix streaming is AWESOME.

It doesn't have absolutely EVERYTHING YOU EVER WANTED???????? Well HECK FIRE!!!! I am sure that somewhere, they guarantee to supply absolutely everything ever.............and You expect that for 7.99/month? wow.

The netflix interface on wii blows HULU, Roku, and whatever else off of the map.

There are THOUSANDS of titles. Many of them AWESOME.

If you are visually impaired (HD eyes) then you have my sympathy and I can understand your bitching.

Short of that, you are missing the boat if you dumped Netflix just because it didn't have EXACTLY the title you wanted.

I have watched a hundred or so mildly lifechanging movies on Netflix that I would NOT have otherwise seen, probably because they don't have every movie ever, or I would have watched something else.

Did you SEE the Good on Netflix Thread with 2000 or so views?
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/good-netflix-streaming-330058/

Netflix had nothing I looked for. Literally nothing. Both of my local blockbusters shut down. Argh.

I'm not missing any boat. I still watch movies all the time, but I watch what I want. And yes, I only watch HD / bluray (unless there is no choice, but it seems everything is available in HD now).

Yes, I've seen your thread. I tried to watch one of the movies on there (Lo). No comment.

And please stop with the condescending tone.

Watch it a few more times.

Proof Sinbad is the greatest actor ever next to Kel Mitchell. Two power houses in that one.

I have two words for you.

John
Wayne

Greatest actor ever, greatest movies ever.

There hasn't been much to come out of Hollywood worth watching since John Wayne died. Certainly not much worth paying the cost of a movie for.

Where you miss the boat pp, is the "they don't have what I was looking for, so there is no use to look any further".

Well ok, you looked a little further. You picked Lo? lol. I love it, but it is the lo budget definition of "not for everyone".

The way to use netflix is to see what there is.

Hey Tex! Good Burger beats Tucker and Dale vs Evil?????????

damn.

Netflix had nothing I looked for. Literally nothing. Both of my local blockbusters shut down. Argh.

I'm not missing any boat. I still watch movies all the time, but I watch what I want. And yes, I only watch HD / bluray (unless there is no choice, but it seems everything is available in HD now).

Yes, I've seen your thread. I tried to watch one of the movies on there (Lo). No comment.

And please stop with the condescending tone.

Blockbuster? Not missing any boat? Condescending? LOL. No, literally. Well, more of a snickering sigh meets snort than a laugh. It was sort a humorgasm.

Then I slapped my knee. Seriously. For real.

I don't use blockbuster - haven't (except for a few exceptions) since I signed up with Netflix in '99.

Sorry about that. I'm in a 12 step program to stop being a dick to strangers online. Back to step one.

Seriously. The approach for netflix is like looking at a menu to see what options there are.

If you HAVE to have eggs benedict, then go someplace you know has it.

Just because eggs benedict isn't on the buffet doesn't mean that the home made sausages and the crepes and the biscuits and gravy aren't worth trying.

I just made myself hungry.

It's not the fault of netflix either. I'm sure they would love to have same day release streaming, but the studios want to leach as much sales out of disc sales as possible before licensing to netflix. Look how long it takes them to get HBO or Showtime series. They keep two seasons behind.
On the other hand, I can start CSI Miami from the pilot, and burn a month in front of the tv. I'd spend a lot in gas doing dvd runs to do the same the rental/buy way.

My wife just got a trial beta version of redbox streaming. If they show up to the market with the product they showed us then netflix will be relegated to disney kids shows and redbox will be for the movies. I would gladly cancel my netflix dvd service and use that 9 bucks for the redbox streaming. Looks like alot of the movies they offer on the dvd side will be on their streaming side.

Ill report back this weekend.

Back