What's with the secret codes??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgln

Reaction score
My Yahoo email has recently started asking me to type in a code they supply to me before sending an email for security purposes. Now my question is why do they attempt to make the letters hard to read? I mean, is it like they make them easy enough for me to read but not a hacker or someone else looking over my shoulder? I really don't get it; why not just make them clear? The last email I actually had a code I had some difficulty with and actually got it wrong so they sent me another one which was easier, perhaps not on purpose but easier.

and if it was just a straight font the Bots could be programmed to recognize it thus defeating the purpose.

If you can't read there s usually a button with it to give you a new one and sometimes there is an audible button where it will actually read it to you.
It's a small price to pay for keeping your email address and other personal info somewhat safe from spammers.

All CAPTCHAs really do is force hackers to write better CAPTCHA bots. Which means the state of the art in OCR is being perpetuated by criminals. Go figure.

My Yahoo email has recently started asking me to type in a code they supply to me before sending an email for security purposes.

I have Yahoo email too, haven't had to key in any kind of CAPTCHA authentication (yet). But I will say that Yahoo has HUGE problems with spam that they apparently do little about. :mad:

Not only that, but Yahoo requires you to PAY to forward your e-mail to a different account, and this basically stops you from easily switching to GMAIL (like everyone should have by now).

Here's one that I got recently:

captcha.jpg

I have Yahoo email too, haven't had to key in any kind of CAPTCHA authentication (yet). But I will say that Yahoo has HUGE problems with spam that they apparently do little about. :mad:

I have basically solved my spam problem. I have two "free"mail accounts. (Neither one is Yahoo...) One is private. I only give that address to friends and family. I never give that address to any online sites. I never forward any of the jokes,pictures,etc. from that account.

The second is for junk mail. This is the address that I use anytime I have to enter an email address at a website, or in an online form, etc. The only time I ever check it is if I'm specifically looking for something that has just been mailed to me.

Since I haven't floated my private email out into cyberspace, I never have any spam in that mail box.

Back