What's up with the bottle brush?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickhead

Reaction score
Hey guys - do you use a bottle brush? Or maybe a bottle washer instead? If you do use a bottle brush, do you do so w/ plain water or sanitizer?

I'm getting ready to bottle my first batch. Any other bottle cleaning tips?

Thanks

I usually don't use one. If theres crap in the bottom I just soak them in oxyclean for a while. Everything just comes out. Then rinse really well.

I don't use any brushes...I clean everything with oxyclean which does the scrubbing for me and then I rinse with a jet bottle washer.

And as for cleaning tips, there's a ton of info on here, you'll find it if you use the search function....if you want to know how much we all like oxyclean...this is what search will net you...same with sanitizers.

oxyclean_copy.jpg

I think there's folks in here that love Oxyclean so much they'd put it in their coffee :D

It cleans out my insides you know? Actually, my crap isn't even brown, it's like a hospital white now, and cleans the toilet.

I'm sure you'll get various opinions on this.

I only use the brush on visible stains.
I always rinse bottles immediately after pouring, so I don't get many.

Soak in warm Oxyclean Free or household bleach (1 tblsp per gallon).
Rinse *thoroughly*. A jet washer can't be beat for this.

Check for stains, if found go to work with the brush.
A slurry of sand and water works, too.
Send brushed bottles back to the Oxyclean.

When all visible debris is gone, spray with a no-rinse sanitizer.
A Vinator is easiest, or fill from your bottling bucket.
There are 2 camps for no-rinse: Star San and Iodophor.
I use Star San.

There's also a sticky at the top of the Equipment/Sanitation forum:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=43688

Cheers!

ok cool I'll check out oxyclean. I searched for "bottle brush" and didn't see much. Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

oh hey - I was going to run the bottles through the dishwasher without detergent. I've read that the heating/drying cycle sterilizes the bottles. Good or bad idea?

I don't use any brushes...I clean everything with oxyclean which does the scrubbing for me and then I rinse with a jet bottle washer.

And as for cleaning tips, there's a ton of info on here, you'll find it if you use the search function....if you want to know how much we all like oxyclean...this is what search will net you...same with sanitizers.

oxyclean_copy.jpg

haha you use windows, myspace, and yahoo messenger

the bottle brush came in handy for me after the great fruit fly invasion of 06.

I use my bottle brush to break up Star San bubbles that form in the bottles when I drain them after sanitizing before I fill them. Other than that, haven't had a use for it.

The best tip I ever received was bottling in the dishwasher. We normally give the bottles a quick brush and then soak them in Starsan. After that we put them in the dishwasher upside down (to let the rest of the sanitizer drain) and bottle right there on the dishwasher door. This method really makes clean-up a breeze and comes in handy when the bottling wand gets stuck in the open position(and it will). If it was me by myself I would probably skip the brushing and just sanitize, but with two people it goes pretty fast and its not too much of a chore.

On another note though..... we are seriously considering kegging as bottling still takes almost three hours including all the bs'ing and drinking of homebrew. :mug:

The best tip I ever received was bottling in the dishwasher. We normally give the bottles a quick brush and then soak them in Starsan. After that we put them in the dishwasher upside down (to let the rest of the sanitizer drain) and bottle right there on the dishwasher door.

+1 except I don't brush (SWMBO isn't always keen on bottling)

When I reuse bottles I've found that giving them a good rinse and then storing them upside down goes a long way to avoiding any gunk build up.

I've never actually cleaned a bottle and I've bottled 12 batches now. I pour all my beers into a glass and at the end of every day I rinse my empties well (like 4 times) and put them away. Then when I am ready to fill them again I just dunk them into my kitchen sink filled with warm star san solution,drain and fill. I've never had a single bad bottle.
Beerbeque

Sometimes I'll use my brush after soaking in Oxyclean. When I do, I stick it in my cordless drill and ream the hell out of them.

bottle right there on the dishwasher door. This method really makes clean-up a breeze and comes in handy when the bottling wand gets stuck in the open position

OH MAN - that has to be the tip of the month!!! Why did I not think of that!! I sat there NEXT to the dishwasher Sunday!!

I used to bottle with my bucket on the counter and the bottles on the floor. (similar situation using the dish washer door). Not any more.

Now I bottle with my bucket on top of another bucket (with lid on) and the bottles on the counter...no more bending over...;)

I bought a bottle brush and have never used it. I don't use my carboy brush anymore either.

Oxyclean is the answer. Just let it sit and it will clean everything.

I think with the dishwasher, it has to have a sanitize cycle to really sanitize.

Mike

If you're using the dishwasher to sanitize, it should be by the heat. I'd think that the dishwasher would do a poor job of washing bottles.

Mike

I've found that putting my thumb over the opening with some soap and water in the bottle and shaking vigorously removes any crud in the bottle.

Back