what's up with my Krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redwing_al

http://www.homebrewmania.com/
Reaction score
this is certainly an odd, graham cracker looking thing...

p967RWW.jpg

English yeast? I've seen the same type of thing using WLP 004 & WLP 007. Mine look more like chocolate cottage cheese though (I use those yeasts for Stouts and Porters).

Used Wyeast1056 starter..

This is normal then?

English yeast? I've seen the same type of thing using WLP 004 & WLP 007. Mine look more like chocolate cottage cheese though (I use those yeasts for Stouts and Porters).

I came seraching for answers as I'm experiencing the same kind of issue on a special bitter using US-05.
I would describe mine as looking like a thick oatmeal substance and very similar to the picture above.
I'm only 11 days into fermentaion but I thought I'd see some of this mess drop out by now.

this mess dropped out perfectly! give it time... I'm drinking the beer now and it turned out fantastic! Good luck!

Follow up....
After work I shook mine up just enough to break up the gunk.
About half of it sank immediately. I'm sure the other half will drop out before my three weeks is up.

Fermentations are wonderfully weird. I feel sorry for those who ferment in buckets, they're missing a great show! I watch mine for long periods, it's like therapy.

Ok, two weeks in and this junk still hasn't dropped.
Let it ride or secondary for the remaining week?

It would be safe to send it to 2ndary.. However, make sure it's done fermenting.. keep us posted!

I checked it at the 10 day mark and was at 1.012.
I'm sure it's done but I'll draw another sample tonight to compare.
If I'm in the same ballpark, I'll transfer.

Ok, so my first post brew reading is 1.006, at the 14 day mark, so I'll be sending it to secondary before too long. The sample was clear, but poking though the junk had it pull out a fair amount of particulates.
To say the least it wasn't very appetizing to look at.

Here's what mine looks like. Sorry about the poor quality.

coRvr34.jpg

KTH1eIL.jpg

Back