What's this worth?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Technically I'd say it's worth the $175 based on some quick research. But since it's Craigslist you should be able to get it for less than that. Also has the stuff been used and properly cleaned?

So you think $100 including the 5 gallon stainless pot? I'm prob going to push my friend towards a 7 gallon plus pot since he's already got a burner.

I paid about 100 for a kit like that from a friend. You'll want to pitch all the tubing to be safe, and I only use his buckets for starsan/oxyclean holding.

Although it is a "Deluxe" kit - Wow, I would pass on it for your friend. I can't see starting a new brewer off with 2 glass carboys when Better Bottles are safer by far. The pot is too small IMO and as other said the tubing & buckets are of no use. I'd also rather have "How to Brew" than the "Joy of Home Brewing".

Not meant to start a debate on glass vs plastic.

Although it is a "Deluxe" kit - Wow, I would pass on it for your friend. I can't see starting a new brewer off with 2 glass carboys when Better Bottles are safer by far. The pot is too small IMO and as other said the tubing & buckets are of no use. I'd also rather have "How to Brew" than the "Joy of Home Brewing".

Not meant to start a debate on glass vs plastic.

Glass is better!!! :ban: :off: :rockin: :p

(giggle)

I agree, the pot is small....but 5 gal is decently big, just not full boil big. Like I said, I started off with something similar, and even got 3 more glass primaries from my dad, (who stopped brewing a while back)....maybe glass isn't BETTER, but there's nothing inherently WRONG with it either. For a newbie, I don't see anything wrong with glass carboys....it's not like he's being told to ferment in ziplock bags.

I guess the point is, you can get yourself a turkey fryer kit with burner and 7.5 gal pot from walmart for about $40 and add a 6g better bottle, bottling bucket, autosiphon and capper for another $50-60. That gets you a lot further (new equipment) for less money than the CL deal.

As far as that "kit" goes, the used tubing and bottling bucket are basically garbage, the kettle isn't big enough for all grain brewing, and who knows what sanitizer that is or where the recipes are from. If it were me, I wouldn't trust any of the plastic stuff either, so that means the airlocks, stoppers, racking tube and siphon are garbage also. I know how well I clean things and got an infection in my plastic equipment once, so I definitely wouldn't trust some used stuff from CL.

So the good stuff is the 3 carboys, thermometer (maybe), hydrometer, bottle caps, bottles (if not too dirty), capper, cleaning brush and Charlie's book. So brand spanking new, that would run at most $150, probably less than $100 if you went with better bottles instead of carboys. I think you should pass on this "deal".

EDIT: From the pics it does look new, if it is then this may a pretty good deal since all the plastic stuff will be fine. I would check to see if it's new or used first.

Just looking at Northern Brewer, their "Deluxe Kit" is $156.

Six gallon carboy (your choice of glass or plastic)
Five gallon carboy (your choice of glass or plastic)
Six gallon bottling bucket with spigot

Funnel
Blowoff hose
Fermentation lock and bung
Siphon tubing
AutoSiphon
Bottle filler
Bottle brush
Carboy brush
Bottle capper
144 bottle caps
Beer thief
Thermometer
Hydrometer
8 oz One-Step Sanitizer

2 x Fermometer
Extra fermentation lock
Carboy dryer
Bottle capper (upgrade to red "Emily" capper)
Test jar

All that's missing is a boil pot. AHS I know was selling a 15-quart economy pot for like $15.

That's without even shopping around (NB isn't necessaily the cheapest, I just looked there because I knew they sold packages like this). $175 is a total rip for used equipment. I'm not sure I'd even do $100 since so much of that you'll end up tossing.

Back