What's this in my cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cottonwoodks

Reaction score
Is it bad? This is second fermentation carboy. Looks kindof like a white scum, in the top of the neck near the airlock, and then maybe on the sides inside..... (Sorry I had to take the picture with a flashlight; it's a little dark in the basement.)
63E310F2-991B-4DBF-AB69-BE531B22ECD3.jpeg
B300A4A9-FF58-413C-86DE-FE2B85D62A02.jpeg

Looks like yeast dropping out. What’s the bottom of the carboy look like?
Not hardly anything in the bottom. It seems to be dissipating, whatever it was. If it was mold, would adding campden tablets take care of it, or would it be hopeless?

First picture is where I’d be looking for mold, at the surface. I don’t see that. It looks like yeast flocculating to me, nothing I’d be worried about.

I don’t know the answer to the campden question for certain but I don’t think that would solve a mold problem. Not that I think there’s a mold problem.

Thanks!

Also, at what point can I put a solid bung in? It looks like the air pressure outside is greater than the air pressure inside.

Back