What's the worst that can happen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sprenger1355

Reaction score
I've got a black IPA fermenting for 3 weeks, now. I haven't looked at it since week two when I last checked the SG. Today I go to take another test and find my airlock out of the bung!

I suspect it has been this way for a week. It smells like beer and tastes wonderful. What's the likelihood of issues (and what kind) down the road if I bottle this???

Am I over-thinking this? Perhaps, I'll just drink it real fast! :D

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

I'd suspect you should RDWHAHB. Your beer was covered by a layer of CO2 so it is unlikely that anything harmful got to your beer.

THANKS for all the responses!

I will drink/share most of it, but planned on saving several bottles to enter into some small competitions for feedback. Any worries for reduced "shelf-life" due to somethin' creeping in???

The higher hop load in an IPA will most likely protect you from any possible critters, which shouldn't reduce the shelf life from that standpoint. However, your hop aromas will fade over time, so drink it young.

well, I suspect that all the sampling may cause a good hangover!

so, be careful!

What's the worst that could happen with a black IPA? Depends on how hoppy it is…for example, try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light. Total protonic reversal.

Back