What's the worst hop combination you've ever tried...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlafnitzegger

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I tried the following just to try and... never use this combination.
amarillo 60min firstwort
amarillo 10min
mandarina bavaria 5min
mandarina bavaria 10min whirlpool
moteka 10min whirlpool
nelson sauvin 10day dryhop
mandarina bavaria 1day dryhop
moteka 1day dryhop

I know, what the hell was I thinking. All I confirmed was drinking and brewing can be bad. :drunk:

Having never heard of Mandarina Bavaria and just reading a description (and having been familiar with the Aussie/NZ hops but never actually using them), I suppose there's worse possible combinations.

i dont like moteuka, but that combination seems like it should be OK together. what was so bad about it?

I really like Sorachi Ace. Very nice dry hop.

I think he was just saying Amarillo is wasted as a bittering addition.

i dont like moteuka, but that combination seems like it should be OK together. what was so bad about it?

It tasted way to bitter but with a mixture of sour oranges and too many different hops trying to shine thru. Really the whole thing was a mess. Nothing complimented the each other. Maybe a sanitation issue but I am pretty ocd. Haven't had sanitation issue for 5 years. I wont try the hop schedule again as it wasn't cheap even though I had all hops in inventory. Only plus was that I was trying something strange to begin with and it just got out of my control. You know when you just want to keep adding hops.

I did a ten gallon of this and split. One batch was the reason for this thread, the other batch I had same boil schedule but used 1oz mandarina bavarin 10days, 4oz of German hull melon for 1day and 1oz citra 1day. That second beer is awesome.

Amounts matter, too, as does grain bill. Centennial & Amarillo is a good combination--made a version of the "Akka-Lakka" Pale Ale in TCJOHB & everyone liked it. Might use NB for bittering next time, cuz it seemed like it could use a little more aggressiveness.

Pretty much anything involving kettle additions of mosaic, nelson or pacific gem. They taste like tropical fruity bile to me.

the free hops from the AHA that one year... Azacca and Jaralyo. One of them made my beer taste like Chai tea or nutmeg. I can't recall which it was but it was awful.

100% citra IPA. Thought it was my first contaminated beer until I did some research and found out that it what it should taste like. I'll never use cotra as a bittering hop again.

Back