What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread makes me laugh though. I wouldn't take half the advice on it. Im no expert but damn, a lot of hate on some decent beers half the time.

When I take anybody's advice on something subjective (like flavor) I usually do so with a grain of salt. Don't take it personally- it is after all the internet.

Worst craft brew I've tried is probably NB Ranger IPA or Fat Tire- overcarbed hop water in both cases.

jonmohno said:
This thread makes me laugh though. I wouldn't take half the advice on it. Im no expert but damn, a lot of hate on some decent beers half the time.
When I take anybody's advice on something subjective (like flavor) I usually do so with a grain of salt. Don't take it personally- it is after all the internet..

When I take anybody's advice on something subjective (like flavor) I usually do so with a grain of salt. Don't take it personally- it is after all the internet.

Worst craft brew I've tried is probably NB Ranger IPA or Fat Tire- overcarbed hop water in both cases.

Really!? Were you trying to be ironic? Come on, there are much worse beers than those, even if you have the subjective palate of dog. If you're talking NB, how about some of the **** sours they put out.

Far tire is overcarbed hop water? Do you know what hops taste like? Or what carbonation is?

I will post mine.

I was at a beerfest. Got a 2 oz pour of Lancaster Brewings Milk Stout. Now imagine my surprise when the taste was of chewing a penny. It was an immediate dump. The funny part is I was not going to even try it (too many beers to try). The only reason I got one was because I had just had 3 or 4 milk stouts of varying degrees of pleasure to me and wanted to try my FAVORITE milk stout (reasonably priced) to compare.

Do you know what a proper amber should taste like?

Fine Fat Tire is fairly balanced- but the last batch I got was certainly overcarbed. Maybe it's not the worst craft beer I've ever had but it's definitely the most overrated. I can see why it's popular though- no body for an amber; pretty much an all- malt, mass commersh, fizzy beverage.

I'm not a hop head by any stretch of the imagination- much prefer malt bombs.

For me, it's any Sam Adams beer with any fruit flavoring (cranberry lambic, cherry wheat, blackberry wit, etc.). The flavor always tastes like chemicals, not fruit, and is always terrible. Anytime my wife buys one of their variety packs I cringe, because I know there will be at least two beers in there that will be undrinkable.

Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA

I purchased a 4 pack ... opened one and poured. One sip and down the drain it went as well as the 3 other bottles. Was like drinking liquified 2 month old cat box smell. I think they use Citra Hops ... I just can't stand Citra Hops ick!

Was like drinking liquified 2 month old cat box smell. I think they use Citra Hops ... I just can't stand Citra Hops ick!

I used Galena in a late addition smelled sort of doggy. Good for bittering though.

DFH should make a petshop series.

I purchased a 4 pack ... opened one and poured. One sip and down the drain it went as well as the 3 other bottles. Was like drinking liquified 2 month old cat box smell. I think they use Citra Hops ... I just can't stand Citra Hops ick!

Did you seriously dump 3 bottles of 120 IPA! Jeez, that's a pretty rare beer to find and expensive to boot. Plus, that's a good beer man. I'm crying inside :(

Worst I've had recently was at a beerfest: black swamp. But it's been a couple years, so they may have improved.

I really hope you're joking! 120 may not be for everyone, but you could trade it to almost anyone on this forum for almost anything. Plus, isn't it like $25-$30/4 pack?

Sam Adams Maple Pecan Porter. The whole pack were drain busters.

I bought the 12 pack sampler that contained that beer. All the others were okay, but I had to pour that one down the sink. Like drinking a bottle of alcoholic maple syrup...which at first thought sounds delicious. Trust me...it's not. Too much of everything (maple and pecans) and no subtleness.

I bought the 12 pack sampler that contained that beer. All the others were okay, but I had to pour that one down the sink. Like drinking a bottle of alcoholic maple syrup...which at first thought sounds delicious. Trust me...it's not. Too much of everything (maple and pecans) and no subtleness.

I've had that pack, and I agree with every word. It was just... ugh.

Okay....this thread is really firming up my belief that the DFH...let's go crazy with adjuncts...is really indeed a waste of time and good beer. I've done the coffee and chocolate adds to an imperial stout, but overall I want to experiment with the crazy flavors and smells and mouth feel etc etc...that you get out of traditional ingredients.

Maple syrup as a fermentable...maybe but not as a dominant flavor...or bacon...or blueberries even, for me.

Sent from my XT1049 using Home Brew mobile app

Okay....this thread is really firming up my belief that the DFH...let's go crazy with adjuncts...is really indeed a waste of time and good beer. I've done the coffee and chocolate adds to an imperial stout, but overall I want to experiment with the crazy flavors and smells and mouth feel etc etc...that you get out of traditional ingredients.

Maple syrup as a fermentable...maybe but not as a dominant flavor...or bacon...or blueberries even, for me.

It kind of all depends on what style you add it to and how much, when, etc. I agree though, some things just don't belong in beer.

I really hope you're joking! 120 may not be for everyone, but you could trade it to almost anyone on this forum for almost anything. Plus, isn't it like $25-$30/4 pack?

No kidding, I have had bad beers. Never dumped one though. Pound it, and try something new after, yes haha. But to dump expensive beer is silly, I wouldve tried to trade or at least give it to a friend. Or cooked with it. Or gave it as a gift to worst enemy.

Seriously? The couple Jester King beers I've had were incredable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using Home Brew mobile app

forgot to specify the exact one: Boxer's Revenge

I don't mind sours and I actually love farmhouse, but this one was just too much.

If you do not like sour/wild ales then do not try them or grip about a brewery that does them. It should be an off flavor not because you may not like the style

voodoo isn't bad because of an off flavor. Every flavor in there is exactly as it was intended to be. I feel the same about boxer's revenge.

voodoo isn't bad because of an off flavor. Every flavor in there is exactly as it was intended to be. I feel the same about boxer's revenge.

Well its not what you intended to be but the brewery releases it as they want it. Boxers is my favorite and i got a newer and batch 1 i need to do a side by side

I just tried some of the Trader Joes brand beers. Lets just say I wont be buying them again.
(my friend said their beer was ok, turns out he meant they sell other brands of beer that are ok)

I tried 2 of their lagers (3.99 a six pack).
The 6.2% alcohol lager was very sweet, almost as if the yeast got stuck at 1.025. It was like a sugar beer.

Then I tried the 5% lager, that was just bad, still sweet but not like the 6.2%.

I tried their IPA, and I'd put it against a Mr. Beer kit.

I tried a dark amber, I dumped it in the sink.

I tried a couple more, they too got dumped.

No redeeming value at all. Even if you want to get drunk, it's got to be better to buy other alcohol.

I understand that one of the TJ beers is made by unibroue.

I've had a couple of their beers, I remember one being tolerable, but the others were disgusting. Not exactly a go to

Sent from my Torque using Home Brew mobile app

Id have to say the Rogue VooDoo Maple Bacon was the worst as many others have said. Tasted like Aunt Jemima and liquid smoke

Id have to say the Rogue VooDoo Maple Bacon was the worst as many others have said. Tasted like Aunt Jemima and liquid smoke

What's wrong with that? I put aunt jemima and liquid smoke on my pancakes every morning. :p
I wanted to try that one just to try it, but never did successfully talk myself into buying it. It's been mentioned a lot in this thread, so I think I made the right decision.

Sam Adams Chocolate Cherry Bock. Chemical flavor. Yuck. I know some on here liked it (it has come up before) but taste is subjective.

Back